Author Topic: Volvo to go all electric with new models from 2019  (Read 2582 times)

rangerrebew

Volvo to go all electric with new models from 2019
« on: July 05, 2017, 11:23:44 am »
Volvo to go all electric with new models from 2019

Published July 05, 2017 Industries Reuters

Geely-owned Volvo Car Group said on Wednesday all new models launched from 2019 will be fully electric or hybrids, spelling the eventual end to nearly a century of Volvos powered solely by the internal combustion engine.

The Gothenburg-based company will continue to produce pure combustion-engine Volvos from models launched before that date, but said it would introduce cars across its model line-up that ranged from fully electric cars to plug-in hybrids.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/07/05/volvo-to-go-all-electric-with-new-models-from-2019.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:24:21 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Volvo to go all electric with new models from 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 11:38:44 am »
And Volvo becomes the latest company to commit suicide........

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 12:20:34 pm »
And Volvo becomes the latest company to commit suicide........
The poor man's Tesla?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 04:07:47 pm »
Volvo Plans to Go Electric, to Abandon Conventional Car Engine by 2019
CEO reiterates target of selling one million electric cars and hybrids by 2025

By William Boston
July 5, 2017 12:00 a.m. ET

For Volvo the internal combustion engine has run its course.

In the face of competition from upstarts like Tesla Inc., which begins production this week of its new mass-market Model 3 electric battery-powered family car, the Chinese-owned automotive group on Wednesday said all new Volvo models from 2019 would be either fully electric or a hybrid.

more
https://www.wsj.com/articles/volvo-to-phase-out-conventional-car-engine-1499227202
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 04:11:56 pm »
Chinese-owned ....

Well hell.  Those cars with their chinese batteries should be able to go 100 feet on a charge.  I predict much success.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 06:46:33 pm »
Another article merely says that Volvo is moving to vehicles which use electric, either gas-electric hybrids, or all electric.

So the implication of the death of internal combustion engines, is false.

"The automaker announced Wednesday that all future models will use some form of electric propulsion, whether in hybrid form with a gas engine or all-battery models. The company says it hopes to become the first traditional carmaker to produce no vehicles based solely on internal combustion engines."

snip

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/volvo-going-all-electric-first-automaker-ditch-combustion-engine-n779791
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 06:51:41 pm »
So basically Volvo is announcing that they're going out of business.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 06:55:03 pm »
The title and hype I've seen today isnt accurate. They arent going electric only. They are moving towards mostly hybrid, something they do very well. This is a big move toward normalizing hybrids as the default engine as Volvo has always been seen as the standard for technology and reliability (not to mention safety).

I cant wait to see what Polestar does with this. My current car is a Polestar S60.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 06:58:20 pm »

Yep, witnessing internal combustion of a corporation.

...or.... they plan to give Cushman a helluva fight in the Golf Cart Industry.... :silly:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:59:22 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 06:59:31 pm »
Chinese-owned ....

Well hell.  Those cars with their chinese batteries should be able to go 100 feet on a charge.  I predict much success.

Just on paper. They continue to operate pretty much atonomus from their owners still with the same management,  engineers, and manufacturing plants. ZGH pretty much lets them run the way they always have, just with more capital.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 07:01:04 pm »
I suspect this announcement is only for the passenger car division as well.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 07:01:11 pm »
The title and hype I've seen today isnt accurate. They arent going electric only. They are moving towards mostly hybrid, something they do very well. This is a big move toward normalizing hybrids as the default engine as Volvo has always been seen as the standard for technology and reliability (not to mention safety).

I cant wait to see what Polestar does with this. My current car is a Polestar S60.

I've known some enviro-whackos who loved their hybrid, until battery replacement time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 07:08:56 pm »

I thought Polestar was spun off of Volvo already to be a performance all electric separate car company.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a10200349/future-polestars-wont-carry-a-volvo-logo/

https://www.polestar.com/us/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:10:21 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 07:13:10 pm »
I thought Polestar was spun off of Volvo already to be a performance all electric separate car company.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a10200349/future-polestars-wont-carry-a-volvo-logo/

https://www.polestar.com/us/

What I've read, even with the future spin off, they will still offer custom sport tuning packages similar to Mercades AMG. One of the articles on the new move says they are already planning performance hybrid upgrades for Volvo.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:46:24 pm »
This may explain the $21 a share decline in TSLA today.  :)

BMW also plans hybrids, VW has plans to replace their diesels with hybrid or electrics or both (I forget), GM and Ford plan to push into it some more, and Fiat-Chrysler is actually well along in autonomous vehicle and offers a hybrid Pacifica minivan.

Fisker's new model uses capacitance rather than batteries and besides offering longer range than Tesla's upcoming Model 3, charges up in *seven minutes*.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 07:51:44 pm »
Bye bye Volvo. Nice knowing you while you were relevant.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 07:57:56 pm »
This may explain the $21 a share decline in TSLA today.  :)

Nope. The quarterly numbers came out late last week and once again America's biggest welfare queen and under deliver king came up short. Tesla is the New AMC except Tesla has one good looking car and AMC had 2.

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 08:02:41 pm »
Nope. The quarterly numbers came out late last week and once again America's biggest welfare queen and under deliver king came up short. Tesla is the New AMC except Tesla has one good looking car and AMC had 2.

888high58888 888high58888

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 08:09:26 pm »

TSLA Corporate Logo....

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 08:28:13 pm »
TSLA Corporate Logo....

Spot on Fish!

I think the shine tesla has put on the public is about to end.  They are producing 1 S3 a day at a cost of 100k.  They are selling them for 27.5 after rebates. 

Saint Elon told investors not to worry.  Even tho they are losing 60k on every car they sell they will make it up on volume.

TSLA stock prices are predicted to hit a low of $180.00 by the quarter's end.   Down 50%.  If you have Tesla stock....sell now.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 10:47:42 pm »
Wrong. They merely announced they are doing what most car companies are doing.

1. Smaller displacement turbo engines
2. Hybrids, of various types.
3. All electrics.

Formula 1, and Lemans have been using variants of both for several years.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 10:50:05 pm »
I suspect this announcement is only for the passenger car division as well.

The passenger division was sold to Ford, but not the truck company which remained separate.

The passenger entity sold further to Chinese, to date. Not doing anything particularly different, from other European and American companies and brands.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 10:51:58 pm »
I've known some enviro-whackos who loved their hybrid, until battery replacement time.

Original battery warranty by Prius Toyota is 10 years, 100,000 miles. I read where a replacement battery warranty is 15 years, 10,000 miles.

Gas-electric technology is solid, tested.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 11:00:54 pm »
Original battery warranty by Prius Toyota is 10 years, 100,000 miles. I read where a replacement battery warranty is 15 years, 10,000 miles.

Tell that to the folks who spent $7K parts and labor.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 11:08:49 pm »

Bullshit. You are looking at between $25K and $55K to do batteries on a Tesla. Don't believe the used car salesman bullshit of $12K. Go on the owners forums and read what out of the service bay costs are.