Author Topic: What Britt McHenry’s Drop From ESPN Teaches Us About Ourselves  (Read 501 times)

Offline mountaineer

I was going to add this to a thread about ESPN's left-leaning politics, but couldn't track it down.
What Britt McHenry’s Drop From ESPN Teaches Us About Ourselves
Could Britt McHenry’s ESPN layoff have come because of her politics? Maybe. Was it maybe a purely financial decision? Possibly.
By Rich Cromwell   
June 30, 2017

Britt McHenry is no stranger to scrutiny. Mostly that’s due to an episode a few years ago in which she lost her cool with a tow company employee, which promptly caused the Internet to explode into a cacophony of calls for her head. Thankfully, the Internet did not prevail. She kept her job with ESPN, and went on with her life.

In December 2016, McHenry discussed how the incident affected her and her family in an article at Marie Claire. She describes the whirlwind she experienced as threats and taunts began rolling in, the remorse over her behavior, even ruminating upon how she’ll cover the incident with her future children. The Internet was a tad nicer about that, but still mostly would have none of it.

Now she’s back again, still with the temerity to offer opinions. This time, she insinuated her conservative leanings were the reason ESPN laid her off in April. Now, I wasn’t involved in ESPN’s decision and I don’t know whether the claim is valid. I’d even go so far as to claim that only a handful of people know if that was a factor in the decision, and that handful is likely not discussing it. There’s also the compelling argument that ESPN’s leftward drift is a symptom more than a cause.

So we don’t know. McHenry deleted the original tweet and isn’t publicly discussing the issue right now. I sent a query tweet that’s also now been deleted and which drew no response, and called her talent agent. The agent’s assistant informed me that McHenry isn’t publicly discussing the issue right now, which is why I feel fairly confident making that claim.

It’s Mostly That She Continues to Exist

Could her layoff have come because of her politics? Maybe. Was it maybe a purely financial decision? Possibly. Or perhaps it was just part and parcel of the same occult decision-making that clouds virtually everything ESPN does these days.  ...
Rest of story at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: What Britt McHenry’s Drop From ESPN Teaches Us About Ourselves
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 05:15:04 pm »
Spoiled brats like her are a dime a dozen. If she looked like me, she'd be running a cash register somewhere.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024