Author Topic: Family Guy producer reveals plans for Adam West's character  (Read 537 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The late actor will appear in five more episodes as the show honors his memory

Do you have a favorite memory of Adam?
It’s hanging on the wall of our writers’ room. When we had our 100th episode [party], we invited him and all the cast. I believe he lived, at the time, in Idaho. And he wasn’t going to make it to the party. So, instead, he RSVP-ed by sending us a handwritten fax to our office. [Retrieves the RSVP fax.] It’s dated Oct. 25, 2007. It says, “To Sethmaster and gang, Congratulations on your 100th birthday. You just don’t look it. I’d like to be there, but I’m in the far mountains of Idaho trying to emulate Into the Wild. There in spirit, Mayor West.” It was just such a hilariously, but so specifically Adam West-y way to respond — to RSVP to the 100th episode party with a handwritten fax. It was full of jokes and good humor and congratulations. It just summed up who he was: sweet, warm, kind, supportive, and a little bit oddball-y in an endearing way…. It just makes me smile when I look at it.

Because you work so far ahead in animation, how many episodes did Adam record lines for that haven’t aired yet?
Mayor West will be in five more episodes of the show that are scheduled to air this coming season.

Was there ever any discussion of whether or not you should run these episodes?
No. He’s such an integral part of the series that it never even occurred to us to take that out. I would almost feel like that was somehow not properly honoring him. I think the proper way to honor him is to keep the character in the show. There were two or three episodes where his character had been written in, but he hadn’t yet recorded those, so obviously we’ve made accommodations for that. There was one scene where he was officiating a wedding, and it was easy enough to just have a different character do that. I [wouldn’t] even consider having someone come in and try to imitate his voice.

More: http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/29/family-guy-adam-west-episodes/2/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline rodamala

Re: Family Guy producer reveals plans for Adam West's character
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 07:52:30 pm »
@Freya

Adam West ping.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat