Author Topic: Planets in other star systems fit a puzzling pattern  (Read 638 times)

rangerrebew

Planets in other star systems fit a puzzling pattern
« on: June 30, 2017, 05:57:46 pm »

News & Technology

28 June 2017
Planets in other star systems fit a puzzling pattern

Tiago Campante/Peter Devine

By Mika McKinnon

EXOPLANETARY systems are like peas in a pod, whatever type of star the planets orbit. This challenges our ideas about how such systems form.

A team led by Lauren Weiss at the University of Montreal in Canada has looked at 909 planets discovered by the Kepler space telescope in 355 systems. All planets in a given system seem to be close in size and similarly spaced in their orbits when compared with planets in other systems. “We see this pattern happening again and again,” says Weiss – regardless of what kind of star these planets are orbiting (arxiv.org/abs/1706.06204).

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23531324-100-planets-in-other-star-systems-fit-a-puzzling-pattern/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:58:28 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Re: Planets in other star systems fit a puzzling pattern
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 07:45:06 pm »
A team led by Lauren Weiss at the University of Montreal in Canada has looked at 909 planets discovered by the Kepler space telescope in 355 systems. All planets in a given system seem to be close in size and similarly spaced in their orbits when compared with planets in other systems. “We see this pattern happening again and again,” says Weiss – regardless of what kind of star these planets are orbiting (arxiv.org/abs/1706.06204).

Perhaps the types of planetary systems that we are finding are limited by the methods being used to search for them. That is, they all fit a pattern because that pattern is the type of system that we can find with current methods. As new methods develop, we may start finding systems that no longer fit that pattern, or that fit other patterns.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:46:46 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
Re: Planets in other star systems fit a puzzling pattern
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:54:33 pm »
Perhaps the types of planetary systems that we are finding are limited by the methods being used to search for them. That is, they all fit a pattern because that pattern is the type of system that we can find with current methods. As new methods develop, we may start finding systems that no longer fit that pattern, or that fit other patterns.
Either that, or they just threw out "outliers" in order to cherry pick the data they wanted to use.  I suspect the latter.  In our system, Bode's Law is just a mnemonic.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert