Author Topic: Texas Supreme Court: No inherent right to gay marriage benefits  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

A unanimous Texas Supreme Court concluded Friday that there is no established right to government-provided spousal benefits in same-sex marriages.

The 2015 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that established the right to same-sex marriage did not decide all marriage-related matters, leaving room for state courts to explore the decision’s “reach and ramifications,” the all-Republican Texas court said.

Supporters of gay marriage have vowed to appeal such a ruling to the federal courts, arguing that the U.S. Supreme Court clearly stated that all marriages must be treated equally.

“The Texas Supreme Court’s decision this morning is a warning shot to all LGBTQ Americans that the war on marriage equality is ever-evolving, and anti-LGBTQ activists will do anything possible to discriminate against our families,” said Sarah Kate Ellis, president and the advocacy group GLAAD....

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-supreme-court-inherent-right-gay-marriage-benefits/YhIJSUN9u9Uy2d8n0exU2I/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Texas Supreme Court: No inherent right to gay marriage benefits
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 03:18:02 pm »
Hallelujah!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 02:33:50 am »
It was queer to even call it a right.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 04:01:57 am »
Hallelujah!!!
I agree, but they are going to fight that with everything they have. The whole 'marriage' thing was to get benefits back and forth.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rodamala

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 04:37:47 am »
It was queer to even call it a right.

Funny, anytime I had tried to use the word queer, it would bleep me.