Author Topic: 'Bulges' in volcanoes could be used to predict eruptions  (Read 537 times)

rangerrebew

'Bulges' in volcanoes could be used to predict eruptions
« on: June 30, 2017, 08:47:39 am »
'Bulges' in volcanoes could be used to predict eruptions
June 28, 2017

A team of researchers from the University of Cambridge have developed a new way of measuring the pressure inside volcanoes, and found that it can be a reliable indicator of future eruptions.

Using a technique called 'seismic noise interferometry' combined with geophysical measurements, the researchers measured the energy moving through a volcano. They found that there is a good correlation between the speed at which the energy travelled and the amount of bulging and shrinking observed in the rock. The technique could be used to predict more accurately when a volcano will erupt. Their results are reported in the journal Science Advances.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-bulges-volcanoes-eruptions.html#jCp

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
Re: 'Bulges' in volcanoes could be used to predict eruptions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:51:48 pm »
I'll believe it when I see it, which means, I won't have to.  :)  Every few years since I was a kid there have been claims of being able to predict quakes and/or volcanic eruptions.  They always end the same, "this fault line will let go" or "this volcano will erupt" sometime between today and, oh, say, 50 years from today.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert