Author Topic: How The US Sets Global Oil And Gas Prices  (Read 2177 times)

Offline thackney

How The US Sets Global Oil And Gas Prices
« on: June 29, 2017, 06:27:03 pm »
How The US Sets Global Oil And Gas Prices
http://www.forbesmiddleeast.com/en/how-the-us-sets-global-oil-and-gas-prices/
28-Jun-2017

The US is increasingly influential in price formation for crude and global gas markets. But tight oil and shale gas, through LNG exports to Europe, are likely to be cap and collar in their respective markets for the next few years – tight oil setting the ceiling price, US gas the floor.

The big three – Saudi Arabia, Russia and the USA – have jostled for position as the world’s leading oil producer since the start of the new millennium.

The astonishing growth path of tight oil propelled the USA to top dog 2015, ousting by a small margin Saudi Arabia, No.1 since the early 1990s. In the background, Russia, like the USA, built production up. Last year, all three produced 12 million b/d (including NGLs), give or take, and each is currently producing at or close to all-time-record levels.

The competitive sparring of the last few years is about to end, and in this fight there will be only one winner. Our latest Macro Oils Long Term Outlook shows the extent to which the USA outpaces the rest in the near future.

We forecast that by 2025, US liquids volumes will increase by over 50% to 19 million b/d; Saudi Arabia will be broadly flat, whereas Russia faces gentle decline.

The global oil market becomes increasingly dependent on the US, which will contribute almost 20% of supply by the middle of next decade. No country has so dominated global supply since the US itself in the early 1970s....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: How The US Sets Global Oil And Gas Prices
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:57:18 pm »
We forecast that by 2025, US liquids volumes will increase by over 50% to 19 million b/d;
Maybe, but I doubt it.

Among other problems if the author is right, I wonder if the Saudis can last that long.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:13:17 pm »
Maybe, but I doubt it.

Among other problems if the author is right, I wonder if the Saudis can last that long.

Keep in mind those Liquids include NGLs.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 12:27:39 pm »
Keep in mind those Liquids include NGLs.
How does stripping NGLs from liquids increase total liquids?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 11:00:16 pm »
How does stripping NGLs from liquids increase total liquids?

I believe NGLs are counted in the total liquids produced.  The NGLs are going through a large increase in production in recent years.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 12:47:28 am »
I believe NGLs are counted in the total liquids produced.  The NGLs are going through a large increase in production in recent years.
Ok, I see you were substantiating a larger increase in liquids in future years, assisted by NGLs.

While I am extremely bullish on the industry, you already know that I suspect the continued increase in liquids will be a difficult task that far out due to the diminishing numbers of geologic horizons susceptible to economic returns in the unconventional liquids world.

Gas is always another matter, and you may be right that an appreciable increase in NGLs may overcome a lot of this volume decrease.

If that is the way volume is propped up, do you think there is still a continued problem as those NGLs are not what a refiner needs to make his lubes, transportation fuels, etc?

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 12:17:18 pm »
If that is the way volume is propped up, do you think there is still a continued problem as those NGLs are not what a refiner needs to make his lubes, transportation fuels, etc?

If the crude oil production doesn't keep up, we will see a further separation in price from the NGLs versus refinery products.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 01:36:58 pm »
If the crude oil production doesn't keep up, we will see a further separation in price from the NGLs versus refinery products.
was thinking of more oil imports may be necessary to fill refiners' demand, in spite of increased liquids via NGLs

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 01:40:32 pm »
was thinking of more oil imports may be necessary to fill refiners' demand, in spite of increased liquids via NGLs

There is more in the balancing act.  If global oil production doesn't keep up with demand growth, we will likely get enough price rise to make those not so sweet spots economic in the US shale.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 08:52:11 pm »
There is more in the balancing act.  If global oil production doesn't keep up with demand growth, we will likely get enough price rise to make those not so sweet spots economic in the US shale.
always true, but I have been bringing up oil volume, not price.

Price will cause some growth, but those spots you are talking about won't make much dent if oil goes up only 10-20 per bbl. 

If we get gains of 500k in liquids production and there is a net oil decline, we may be importing more oil.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:52:38 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 11:48:17 am »
always true, but I have been bringing up oil volume, not price.

Price will cause some growth, but those spots you are talking about won't make much dent if oil goes up only 10-20 per bbl. 

If we get gains of 500k in liquids production and there is a net oil decline, we may be importing more oil.

My thoughts are if we get ~$15/bbl increase in price, we will see more than a 500k increase in oil production over 2 years.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 02:27:52 pm »
My thoughts are if we get ~$15/bbl increase in price, we will see more than a 500k increase in oil production over 2 years.
Ok, that is one possibility.  Got an idea on how much NGL volumes will go up at same time?

Am thinking like you that NGL volumes might increase at a higher % rate than oil volumes.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 02:33:13 pm »
Ok, that is one possibility.  Got an idea on how much NGL volumes will go up at same time?

Am thinking like you that NGL volumes might increase at a higher % rate than oil volumes.

I think you are correct.  But the NGL market has become more separate from the crude market for pricing in the recent years.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 02:46:37 pm »
I think you are correct.  But the NGL market has become more separate from the crude market for pricing in the recent years.

Absent a geopolitical crisis (i.e. North Korea), I think oil prices will trade between $40-$50 per bbl. Last week, I paid $1.80 per gallon in Fort Worth.

From what I've seen, frackers in Texas have dropped their break-even point near $40 per bbl, and the jobs appear to be returning to the West Texas/Eastern NM oil patch. Two summers ago, hotel occupancy rates were in the 20 percent range.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 08:30:35 pm »
Absent a geopolitical crisis (i.e. North Korea), I think oil prices will trade between $40-$50 per bbl. Last week, I paid $1.80 per gallon in Fort Worth.

From what I've seen, frackers in Texas have dropped their break-even point near $40 per bbl, and the jobs appear to be returning to the West Texas/Eastern NM oil patch. Two summers ago, hotel occupancy rates were in the 20 percent range.
If any of us knew what prices might be, we could make fortunes.  It really is just a guess.

One thing that could stifle continued gasoline price decreases is if the govt decides to tax us more. 
GOP flashes stop sign at Trump on gas tax
Republicans are balking over President Trump’s openness to raising the federal gas tax to help pay for U.S. roads and highways — a politically fraught issue that lawmakers have avoided for years.

There are a handful of GOP lawmakers who are champions of increasing the gas tax, something that hasn’t happened in more than two decades.

But the signals coming out of the White House appear to be at odds with GOP leadership and influential conservatives, who have repeatedly been put in the uncomfortable spot of having to square their positions with the president’s.
“I oppose raising taxes, and I oppose adding to the debt,” Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), chairman of Republican Policy Committee and head of the Environment and Public Works Committee, told The Hill. “There are a lot of ways we can do the funding [for infrastructure].”
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/331857-gop-flashes-stop-sign-at-trump-on-gas-tax

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 08:34:16 pm »
If any of us knew what prices might be, we could make fortunes.  It really is just a guess.

One thing that could stifle continued gasoline price decreases is if the govt decides to tax us more.

I am sure the price will be $100 again.  I'm just not sure when...

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 08:39:30 pm »
I am sure the price will be $100 again.  I'm just not sure when...
Touche, I needed to spell out when, otherwise that fortune will remain alusive...