Author Topic: Most Americans Can’t Afford a New Car: Report  (Read 6747 times)

Wingnut

Re: Most Americans Can’t Afford a New Car: Report
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2017, 09:52:26 pm »
Thanks, I needed that!

They are sisters.  fyi!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2017, 10:25:38 pm »
Yesterday, I shot an elephant in my pajamas.
How he go into my pajamas, I'll never know......

I came home the other day and my wife met me at the door.

"Take off my dress," she said.  So I did.
"Take off my bra," she said.  So I did.
"Take off my panties," she said.  So I did.

"Now don't ever let me catch you wearing my clothes again!"
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2017, 11:21:04 pm »
AutoGuide
Jason Siu
June 28, 2017

A new study shows a median-income household can only afford the average-priced new car in one of the 25 largest U.S. metropolitan areas.

The study, conducted by Bankrate, reviews incomes and vehicle costs in the 25 largest metro areas in the U.S. while following the “20/4/10” rule. For those not familiar with the 20/4/10 rule, it says a car buyer should aim to put down at least 20 percent of a vehicle’s purchase price, take out a car loan no longer than four years, and devote no more than 10 percent of annual income to car payments, interest, and insurance.

More... http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/06/most-americans-can-t-afford-a-new-car-report.html

Well, there's the problem:  seeing that new vehicles sold under Japanese and Korean brands easily last 10 years so the 20/4/10 rule should probably be replaced with a 20/6/10 rule, and they're only looking at the largest metro areas where people don't need average priced cars, since smaller, cheaper models are better in urban environments, the whole study is flawed.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2017, 11:30:14 pm »
Rant on. And can we talk about phones? All of my coworkers have payment plans for them, and then get a new one when the old one is paid off in two years. Two year phone financing! To top it off, they make fun of my 4S and 10 year old Nissan Titan. I tell them I add another year to my next car purchase date every time somebody asks when I'm getting a new car. My husband and I do well, but that doesn't mean we spend everything we make fer cryin' out loud! Rant off.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2017, 11:30:42 pm »
Well, there's the problem:  seeing that new vehicles sold under Japanese and Korean brands easily last 10 years so the 20/4/10 rule should probably be replaced with a 20/6/10 rule, and they're only looking at the largest metro areas where people don't need average priced cars, since smaller, cheaper models are better in urban environments, the whole study is flawed.
Not to mention that 10% disposable income in major metro areas is more money than 10% disposable income out in the boonies, where there is no alternative to driving.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2017, 11:33:09 pm »

Audi A6, Quattro

Audi's are only good until the lease ends. Then you throw them away.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2017, 11:37:29 pm »
LOL! THe neighbor's is a pretty blue. If it had a sunroof it's make a neat planter...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2017, 11:40:36 pm »

It's a Volkswagen that is more expensive to fix.
Countdown to Resignation

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2017, 01:18:12 am »
I bought my first car for cash after I got out of the Army in 1972 -- a '66 VW Campmobile, cost $1,600.

But when I got hired by the railroad in '79, I was down to about $40 cash in the bank, and the 13-year-old VW, which wasn't gonna make it with the amount of driving that would be required.

So I borrowed a few hundred $$$ from my mom, and put the down payment on a new 1979 Honda Accord.

Within 6 months, I had saved enough to pay off the loan.

Since then, I pay cash for all my vehicles (cars and motorcycles while I had them).

Then again, even though I generally "bought new", I've never bought overly-expensive cars, and I kept them as long as I could. For example, I bought a 1993 Acura Integra and kept it for 12 years, and sold it for $400 with 300,000 miles on it.

But when it came time to buy again in 2015, I decided to stop buying "new".
This time around, it was a Toyota Certified Used RAV4, saved about 5,000 from new. It had only 7,400 miles and was literally like new. The drivetrain warranty is longer on their certified used cars, too: 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

No more new cars for me.
Heh. I'm wondering if there are going to be any "more" cars, even so!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2017, 01:20:43 am »
Weird wrote:
"Good point but do you pay cash for your house?"

If I buy another one, I'll be paying cash, yeah.
But it won't be anyplace too expensive!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2017, 03:07:01 am »
I bought my first car for cash after I got out of the Army in 1972 -- a '66 VW Campmobile, cost $1,600.

But when I got hired by the railroad in '79, I was down to about $40 cash in the bank, and the 13-year-old VW, which wasn't gonna make it with the amount of driving that would be required.

So I borrowed a few hundred $$$ from my mom, and put the down payment on a new 1979 Honda Accord.

Within 6 months, I had saved enough to pay off the loan.

Since then, I pay cash for all my vehicles (cars and motorcycles while I had them).

Then again, even though I generally "bought new", I've never bought overly-expensive cars, and I kept them as long as I could. For example, I bought a 1993 Acura Integra and kept it for 12 years, and sold it for $400 with 300,000 miles on it.

But when it came time to buy again in 2015, I decided to stop buying "new".
This time around, it was a Toyota Certified Used RAV4, saved about 5,000 from new. It had only 7,400 miles and was literally like new. The drivetrain warranty is longer on their certified used cars, too: 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

No more new cars for me.
Heh. I'm wondering if there are going to be any "more" cars, even so!

That's the best time to buy. Right after leaving the lot. Supposedly they lose 10-20% after driving off the lot.