Author Topic: Most Americans Can’t Afford a New Car: Report  (Read 6748 times)

Wingnut

Re: Most Americans Can’t Afford a New Car: Report
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2017, 06:09:47 pm »
  I mean really.  What do you want from life. A meaningless love affair with a girl that you met tonight. How can you tell when you're doin' alright. Does your bank account swell while you're dreaming at night?  Well, you can't have that, but if you're an American citizen you are entitled to"
A  brand new car and an Obama phone.....
a heated kidney shaped pool,
a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,
a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,
a king-size Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,
a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,
real simulated Indian jewelry,
a Gucci shoetree,
a year's supply of antibiotics,
a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,
a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,
Rosemary's baby,
a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,
a new Matador, a new mastodon,
a Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego,
a Merc Montclair, a Mark IV, a meteor,
a Mercedes, an MG, or a Malibu,
a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati, a Mac truck,
a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped,
a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,
or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,
a Las Vegas wedding,
a Mexican divorce,
a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2017, 06:12:02 pm »
The price has become irrelevant because people base their decision on the payment amount. That Ford Escape SE I want is $328 a month. You can buy it for cash for $25k or pay $28.6k to finance it. If you only care about the $328 a month, the price is not a concern. But you can get a nice Escape Titanium for $361 a month. Don't you think you are worth that $33 a month? You can skip going to one movie and pay for that.

LOL.  I don't buy *anything* that way.  But on the rare occasion that we've been in a car dealership I sure have fun with the salesmen that try to push that line.  If it's ONLY $33 more per month then it won't be a big deal for you to take that off the price of the car.  My husband doesn't like dealing with that kind of thing, but he wanted a new Pontiac Solstice when they came out.  The salesman/manager hated me, and hubby thought he was going to lose out on the car he wanted. 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2017, 06:29:11 pm »
This is a bit odd to hear.
I listen to a show on Saturdays  in the Houston area called the car pro show, with a guy named Jerry Reynolds, who been in the car business for years.
What they say is that the average new car sells at a $200.00 dollar loss to the dealer, and most of the money is made on used cars and service.
The reason they say that is the case is that most people shop around on the internet before actually going into a dealership, thereby making it more competitive to sell new cars.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2017, 06:29:14 pm »
LOL.  I don't buy *anything* that way.  But on the rare occasion that we've been in a car dealership I sure have fun with the salesmen that try to push that line.  If it's ONLY $33 more per month then it won't be a big deal for you to take that off the price of the car.  My husband doesn't like dealing with that kind of thing, but he wanted a new Pontiac Solstice when they came out.  The salesman/manager hated me, and hubby thought he was going to lose out on the car he wanted.
I don't do badly in the average horsetrade, but Mrs. Joe is something to watch (I have learned to just stand there and watch). 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2017, 06:37:29 pm »

I'm just never going to pay more than 4 figures for a car.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2017, 06:38:16 pm »
LOL! I'm cheap, too... 888high58888

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2017, 06:52:06 pm »

I find that as soon as a car hits 200K miles though, no matter how well kept for the car is, you will start shelling out major money, unless you do it all yourself. Which may be hard without a lift.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 07:03:56 pm »
LOL! I'm cheap, too... 888high58888

I got a good deal on the Corolla simply because the guy selling it just needed to get it out of his way. His parents bought it for him when he was in college and now he's a resident doctor making Escalade money.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2017, 07:04:06 pm »

I hear ya.  We bought that in 2007 and still have it.  My other brand new car was a 1999 Chevy Blazer, we still have it.  Hubby switches off driving the two to work.  And I drive the 2008 Expedition, which is the one we bought used.  Hubby is great at maintaining and fixing them, so we have gotten a lot of mileage out of all of them so far.  Actually, I'll be 43 this year and those are the only 3 cars I have owned.  Ooops, I take that back, when I was in college my dad gave me an 1989 Chevy Blazer that I sold when I bought the '99.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2017, 07:09:36 pm »
I got a good deal on the Corolla simply because the guy selling it just needed to get it out of his way. His parents bought it for him when he was in college and now he's a resident doctor making Escalade money.
I watch two places: rental vehicle and State auctions (both have vehicles normally well maintained, but often driven a little hard). Still they have miles left on them and are aged out of the fleet based on model year.

And I watch Estate sales. The kids usually have vehicles that are newer, the folks often maintained their vehicles well (you can tell by the rest of the stuff), the vehicles were often garaged, and have relatively low mileage for their model year. For me the question is (for a vehicle that is suitable for my use) how many miles can I get out of this for how much buy in. Sometimes you can get a really good deal.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:09:57 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2017, 07:31:26 pm »
In 2012, we bought a car for our daughter from a 90 year-old man we knew. 2000 Ford ZX2 with 28k miles on it. He couldn't get out of the car.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline thackney

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2017, 08:01:13 pm »
In 2012, we bought a car for our daughter from a 90 year-old man we knew. 2000 Ford ZX2 with 28k miles on it. He couldn't get out of the car.

Wow, I would hope you got that at a great price given you had to drive around with a 90 year old man all the time...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2017, 08:02:34 pm »

Audi A6, Quattro
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2017, 08:24:49 pm »
I find that as soon as a car hits 200K miles though, no matter how well kept for the car is, you will start shelling out major money, unless you do it all yourself. Which may be hard without a lift.

Three of my daily drivers have over 200k miles. I do all of my car repairs. No lift. Just a floor jack and jack stands. I had to replace the auto trans in my 98 Z71. That was fun.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2017, 08:34:13 pm »
Three of my daily drivers have over 200k miles. I do all of my car repairs. No lift. Just a floor jack and jack stands. I had to replace the auto trans in my 98 Z71. That was fun.

I used to do all my own repairs. Depends on the repair needed now - I'm too old to be laying in the street.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2017, 08:36:13 pm »
Wow, I would hope you got that at a great price given you had to drive around with a 90 year old man all the time...

Yesterday, I shot an elephant in my pajamas.
How he go into my pajamas, I'll never know......

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2017, 08:42:40 pm »

Audi A6, Quattro
Neighbor has the A4. It blows oil out of the tailpipe...

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »
I used to do all my own repairs. Depends on the repair needed now - I'm too old to be laying in the street.
I don't think one ever gets too old to be laying in the street. It is just done less on a voluntary basis.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2017, 08:56:22 pm »

I'm just not ready to go the lease route as I have a problem trusting anyone to work on my machines.

Wingnut

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2017, 09:20:00 pm »
I don't think one ever gets too old to be laying in the street. It is just done less on a voluntary basis.

You don't have to give it away turning tricks on the street for free.  You still have some value.  If they don't want to pay you, hit'em upside their head with your purse full of quarters!

:amen:

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2017, 09:24:34 pm »

Ok that was funny.  :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2017, 09:25:48 pm »
You don't have to give it away turning tricks on the street for free.  You still have some value.  If they don't want to pay you, hit'em upside their head with your purse full of quarters!

:amen:
You got the wrong guy. We were talking about auto mechanics, but thanks for playing. That's wRench, with an 'R'.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2017, 09:34:34 pm »
That's wRench, with an 'R'.

Oh...my bad.   Cheers

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2017, 09:43:10 pm »
Oh...my bad.   Cheers

:beer: MUCH better!

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2017, 09:45:15 pm »
Oh...my bad.   Cheers

Thanks, I needed that!