Author Topic: Restaurant Co-Owner Blasts Trump After Losing Kitchen Staff to ICE Check  (Read 909 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

co-owner of a Baltimore restaurant says 30 of his kitchen staff quit after an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent demanded their papers – an exodus he described as the "saddest day."

In an open letter to his customers Saturday, posted on Facebook, BoatHouse Canton owner Gene Singleton called out the Trump administration "for targeting the Hispanic community."
"Properly documented and potentially less than properly documented are all fearful of being separated from their families, many with small children," Singleton wrote. "Many went home to pack up and leave."

They were "some of the best citizens we have," Singleton told the Washington Post.

He told the newspaper every worker had passed the restaurant’s vetting process and appeared to be in the United States legally – and no one had been accused of wrongdoing.

Singleton told the Post he's never had immigration issues over his 35 years in the restaurant business – and didn't expect any under President Donald Trump either.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/baltimore-restaurant-kitchen-staff/2017/06/27/id/798602/
Some of the "best citizens"?  Breaking the law by being here makes them "best citizens"? 

Wonder how the customers who were served food prepared by those who were not tested for Hepatitis feel about that?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
If the checks were done correctly and the workers are in the US legally - why'd they bail?

Sounds like CYA BS to me.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline thackney

passed the restaurant’s vetting process

Sounds like their vetting process needs work.

By Friday, a quarter of BoatHouse’s staff decided they had no choice but to go home and not return, the Post reported.

Why would they have no choice unless they were actually illegal aliens?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
If the checks were done correctly and the workers are in the US legally - why'd they bail?

Sounds like CYA BS to me.
Here's the thing, no one in a restaurant's management is a document expert and there are some awesome forgeries as well as real documents obtained illegally. I was fooled more than once, but the thing of it is that the Social Security office will always catch up to the phonies and what is the most important is what the employer does when they are notified. With this many employees skipping out my experience says that the restaurant management knew all along that they were employing people illegally.