Author Topic: Ted Cruz in a Surprising New Role: Mediator, on Health-Care Reform  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
National Review

by Alexandra DeSanctis   June 27, 2017

He pushes for a more conservative GOP bill but identifies possible middle ground.

As Senate GOP leaders push for a procedural vote this week on a draft bill to reform the Affordable Care Act, one Republican has expended particular energy pushing for conservative modifications that he believes would make the bill a true repeal-and-replace effort.

Texas senator Ted Cruz has not been deterred by the partisan infighting over health care. He has instead taken an active role in developing a version of the bill that can secure the necessary votes to reform President Obama’s signature legislative achievement.

Just after the GOP draft was unveiled last week, Cruz released a joint statement — with fellow Republican senators Mike Lee (Utah), Ron Johnson (Wis.), and Rand Paul (Ky.) — saying he would vote “no” on the bill as it stood. All four said they remain “open to negotiation and obtaining more information before it is brought to the floor.”

Cruz said in a subsequent statement that he was pleased with some aspects of the draft, including its expansion of association health plans and its reduction of Medicaid’s growth in coming years, but he believes that the current bill wouldn’t be able to substantially lower premiums, which, in his mind, is the primary goal of reform.

Like the hardline conservative members of the Freedom Caucus in the House, Cruz believes that the GOP needs to do more than simply tinker around the edges of Obamacare to provide relief to Americans who have experienced skyrocketing premiums and lost coverage options as the result of insurance companies’ pulling out of state markets.

“I want to get to yes, but this first draft doesn’t get the job done,” Cruz said last week. “Over the next week and beyond, I will continue working to bring Republicans together to honor our promise, repeal Obamacare, and adopt common-sense, consensus reforms that can actually be passed into law.”

Cruz sees the Consumer Freedom Amendment as the best of both worlds, leaving existing Obamacare plans intact while encouraging insurance companies to provide more-affordable plans.

And Cruz has been as good as his word, doing much more than simply voicing discontent and then sitting back to let others fight it out. Shedding his reputation as one of the Senate’s most contentious members, he has already suggested one possible middle-ground compromise: an amendment allowing insurers to offer some plans that don’t comply with Obamacare’s mandates, as long as they maintain at least one plan that does conform to the requirements.

In Cruz’s view, this Consumer Freedom Amendment would be the best of both worlds, leaving existing Obamacare plans intact while also encouraging insurance companies to provide a number of more affordable plans. This solution would preserve low-cost options for those who have seen their costs increase exponentially, while still covering Americans who didn’t have health insurance before the mandates of the Affordable Care Act went into effect.

Cruz wants to see a revised draft that creates a 50-state marketplace to provide more health-care options, expands health savings accounts, caps punitive damages in medical-malpractice lawsuits, and allows states to develop innovative solutions to increasing Medicaid costs.

More: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449016/health-care-bill-senate-republicans-ted-cruz-mediator-middle-ground

Offline corbe

Thanks for posting this @Elderberry
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

In a nutshell; "Cruz wants to see a revised draft that creates a 50-state marketplace to provide more health-care options, expands health savings accounts, caps punitive damages in medical-malpractice lawsuits, and allows states to develop innovative solutions to increasing Medicaid costs." 

As I have stated several times before ... the need to take Cruz and Paul's plans and blend them together; voila ... the best of the best!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Does it fully repeal Obamacare?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

The "Consumer Freedom Amendment" would leave existing ObamaCare plans on the individual market, while also allowing insurers to sell plans that don't comply with requirements of the Affordable Care Act.

"What that does — it leaves existing plans on the market but it gives new options so that people can purchase far more affordable health insurance. It will enable a lot more people to be able to afford buying health insurance," Cruz told The Hill on Thursday afternoon.

Cruz's amendment would allow insurers to continue offering plans that follow ObamaCare's "Title One" requirements, including essential health benefits, which mandates 10 services insurers must cover with no cost-sharing.

But insurers could also sell skimpier, cheaper plans that don't cover those 10 services or meet other ObamaCare requirements.

"If a health insurer offers a plan consistent with the Title One mandates, insurers can also sell in that same state any other plans that consumers desire," Cruz said.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Senator Cruz has apparently been brushing up on Reagan quotes. Trying hard to get to yes.

Ronald Reagan:   ''Die-hard conservatives thought that if I couldn't get everything I asked for, I should jump off the cliff with the flag flying - go down in flames. No, if I can get 70 or 80 percent of what it is I'm trying to get, yes I'll take that and then continue to try to get the rest in the future. And maybe it's easier to get it as they see that this works. And this was what they were critical of. They couldn't stand it that I would compromise and settle for less than I'd ask.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/06/magazine/the-mind-of-the-president.html?pagewanted=all&mcubz=1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

“I want to get to yes, but this first draft doesn’t get the job done,” Cruz said last week. “Over the next week and beyond, I will continue working to bring Republicans together to honor our promise, repeal Obamacare, and adopt common-sense, consensus reforms that can actually be passed into law.”

Yeah sure Lyin' Ted. We all know you are doing nothing but sabotaging this bill so you can introduce your Cruzcare that eliminates and makes illegal the existence of doctors and hospitals. WebMD will take the place of all medical care.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Does it fully repeal Obamacare?

Not totally but it is a good bill that has a chance of passing.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Senator Cruz has apparently been brushing up on Reagan quotes. Trying hard to get to yes.

Ronald Reagan:   ''Die-hard conservatives thought that if I couldn't get everything I asked for, I should jump off the cliff with the flag flying - go down in flames. No, if I can get 70 or 80 percent of what it is I'm trying to get, yes I'll take that and then continue to try to get the rest in the future. And maybe it's easier to get it as they see that this works. And this was what they were critical of. They couldn't stand it that I would compromise and settle for less than I'd ask.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/06/magazine/the-mind-of-the-president.html?pagewanted=all&mcubz=1

Kudos to both those guys.... Cruz and Reagan. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Yeah sure Lyin' Ted. We all know you are doing nothing but sabotaging this bill so you can introduce your Cruzcare that eliminates and makes illegal the existence of doctors and hospitals. WebMD will take the place of all medical care.

Whats the problem Frank?  You would rather have us stuck with Obama Care?  Your boy Trump promised lower premiums, open market places across state lines.  Ted Cruz is sticking to Trumps promises.  Better than I can say for Trump himself.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline DB

Re: Ted Cruz in a Surprising New Role: Mediator, on Health-Care Reform
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 04:51:06 am »
Whats the problem Frank?  You would rather have us stuck with Obama Care?  Your boy Trump promised lower premiums, open market places across state lines.  Ted Cruz is sticking to Trumps promises.  Better than I can say for Trump himself.

@Chosen Daughter that's Frank's sarcasm pegged on full.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 05:11:47 am »
@Chosen Daughter that's Frank's sarcasm pegged on full.

Yep!  If you want to see more ... and I know I do .... just mention Ted Cruz.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 06:49:47 am »
The problem with Ted Cruz is that he has the good ideas, but except for maybe a handful of his colleagues, the liberal Republicans in charge of the Senate just ignore him.   

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 07:24:02 am »
Like I said, Cruz has shown signs of cracking. FULL Repeal or let them own it completely without your involvement.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....