Author Topic: EPA moves to repeal Obama water rule  (Read 665 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
EPA moves to repeal Obama water rule
« on: June 27, 2017, 07:10:51 pm »
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) formally proposed Tuesday to repeal the Obama administration’s controversial regulation that extended the reach of the federal government over small waterways.

Under the proposal from the EPA and the Army Corps of Engineers, federal officials would go back to enforcing a guidance document from 2008 when deciding whether a waterway is subject to federal oversight for pollution control purposes.

It’s the first formal step by the EPA to fulfilling President Trump’s campaign promise to repeal the 2015 “waters of the United States” regulation, which Republicans and numerous industry groups have long argued would have subject farmers, developers and others to costly and time-intensive federal permitting for everyday activities like moving soil.

The Trump administration plans to separately write a new regulation to replace the water rule with a more industry-friendly definition of federal power over waterways.

“We are taking significant action to return power to the states and provide regulatory certainty to our nation's farmers and businesses,” EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt said in a statement.

More: http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/339691-epa-seeks-to-repeal-obama-water-rule
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: EPA moves to repeal Obama water rule
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 07:42:25 pm »
This could be good, depending on how it is done and what is done. The Obama rule was crap.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Millee

Trump EPA to rescind Obama 'Waters of America' power grab
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 04:12:38 pm »
The Trump administration EPA announced that they will rescind one of the biggest power grabs by a federal agency in US history.

In 2015, the Obama EPA finalized a rule that would have brought almost all "navigable" waters in the US under federal government control. The "Waters of the US" rule targeted creeks, streams, and inland rivers even if they were on private property.

The rule would have given the EPA jurisdiction not only over the water, but over much of the surrounding land as well.

But one of the first acts of the Trump administration was to order a review of the rule with the intent of repealing it.

“The final WOTUS rule issued by the last administration was unworkable, a fact acknowledged by courts around the country, and amounted to a massive grab of regulatory authority by an EPA that was overreaching,” said Bill Kovacs, vice president for environment and regulatory policy at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

“We look forward to working with Administrator Pruitt and his team to craft a rule that protects public health and the environment, while giving clarity and certainty to our nation’s farmers and job creators,” he said.

“Today marks the beginning of restoring private property rights while protecting our environment,” said Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.). “Out of state D.C. bureaucrats shouldn’t impose regulations that hurt Montana farmers, ranchers and landowners.”

The EPA will publish the proposal in the Federal Register within days, at which point the agency will start accepting comments from the public. After considering the comments and making any necessary changes, the agency can make the repeal final.

The WOTUS rule was spectacular overreach. It would have massively interferred with agriculture, not to mention overturning the entire concept of private property. The gains in drinking water cleanliness would have been minuscule at the cost of a blizzard of paperwork for businesses and farmers.

The Obama EPA sought to use the Clean Water Act for purposes it was not remotely intended to address. It was a power grab by the EPA that would have weakened private property rights while exercising stifling regulatory control. While it won't receive a lot of publicity, rescinding this rule represents one of the biggest roll backs of federal power in history.

The dream of greens is that eventually, the EPA will exercise control over every inch of land, every drop of water in the US - a nightmare scenario that was well on its way to becoming reality until the Trump EPA stepped in.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/06/trump_epa_to_rescind_obama_waters_of_america_power_grab.html#ixzz4lJXX0ZSD
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 05:41:46 pm »
This could be good, depending on how it is done and what is done. The Obama rule was crap.

Faint praise or not, this is a huge step in the right direction.  The EPA had become a tyrant over mudholes, making life miserable for farmers and other people who wanted to use their own land as they saw fit.

I like what this shows me about the EPA under Trump.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 05:44:12 pm »
Duh. Course it's going to be repealed. Golf courses have water hazards.  :tongue2:

/sarc?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 05:50:24 pm »

Could be good?  What on earth could be bad about it?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:51:30 pm »
Duh. Course it's going to be repealed. Golf courses have water hazards.  :tongue2:

/sarc?

Thanks for the insightful input.  This is why I post praise for Trump when it is deserved.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 08:30:40 pm »
Could be good?  What on earth could be bad about it?
They aren't done reviewing it yet. If they get rid of the rule entirely, it will be great, but we'll see if there are some lingering bits left over first. Ergo, it could be good.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis