Author Topic: Dems won't whip votes on 'Kate's Law'  (Read 505 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Dems won't whip votes on 'Kate's Law'
« on: June 27, 2017, 06:39:19 pm »
House Democratic leaders will encourage their members to oppose the Republicans's crackdown on so-called sanctuary cities this week, but members will face no similar pressure on “Kate’s Law,” Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said Tuesday.

“Kate’s Law is a little more complicated,” Hoyer, the Democratic whip, told reporters in the Capitol.

“I’m advising members to look at it carefully and see what their conclusion is," he said.

Sponsored by House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), “Kate’s Law” would hike criminal penalties for undocumented immigrants who have been convicted of certain crimes, deported and then re-enter the United States illegally. The bill is named after Kathryn Steinle, 32, who was fatally shot in 2015 while walking with her father along San Francisco's touristy waterfront.

The suspect in the case, Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, had seven previous felony convictions and had been deported to Mexico on five previous occasions.

More: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/339689-dems-wont-whip-votes-on-kates-law
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Dems won't whip votes on 'Kate's Law'
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 07:55:10 pm »
House Democratic leaders will encourage their members to oppose the Republicans's crackdown on so-called sanctuary cities this week, but members will face no similar pressure on “Kate’s Law,” Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said Tuesday.

“Kate’s Law is a little more complicated,” Hoyer, the Democratic whip, told reporters in the Capitol.

“I’m advising members to look at it carefully and see what their conclusion is," he said.

Sponsored by House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), “Kate’s Law” would hike criminal penalties for undocumented immigrants who have been convicted of certain crimes, deported and then re-enter the United States illegally. The bill is named after Kathryn Steinle, 32, who was fatally shot in 2015 while walking with her father along San Francisco's touristy waterfront.

The suspect in the case, Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, had seven previous felony convictions and had been deported to Mexico on five previous occasions.

More: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/339689-dems-wont-whip-votes-on-kates-law

Aw c'mon Dems, vote against Kate's Law, and watch what happens during the next election cycle. I can just see the ads tying them to Pelosi and this law.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.