Author Topic: Another Massive Ransomware Outbreak Is Going Global Fast  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Suppressed

Another Massive Ransomware Outbreak Is Going Global Fast
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:11:48 pm »
Another Massive Ransomware Outbreak Is Going Global Fast
Thomas Fox-Brewster,  FORBES STAFF
JUN 27, 2017 @ 09:44 AM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/06/27/ransomware-spreads-rapidly-hitting-power-companies-banks-airlines-metro

Ukraine's government, National Bank and biggest power companies all warned of cyberattacks Tuesday. Airports and metro services in the country were also reportedly affected, though it appears they're victims of another massive ransomware outbreak that's spreading across the world fast and hitting a significant number of critical infrastructure providers.

Whispers of WannaCry abound, though security experts said a different breed, named Petya, is to blame. "[We're seeing] several thousands of infection attempts at the moment, comparable in size to WannaCry's first hours," said Kaspersky Lab's Costin Raiu. "We are seeing infections from many different countries." One firm, BitDefender, said it believed a similar strain called GoldenEye was actually responsible.

This morning saw major Danish shipping and energy company Maersk report a cyber attack, noting on its website: "We can confirm that Maersk IT systems are down across multiple sites and business units due to a cyber attack." And Russian oil industry giant Rosnoft said it was facing a "powerful hacker attack." Major British advertiser WPP said on Facebook it was also hit by an attack, while law firm DLA Piper was also reportedly affected. None had responded to requests for comment or stated what kind of attack they were under.

Sources told Forbes of one U.S. target: pharmaceuticals company Merck. One source said the problem extended to global offices, including those in Ireland, with both phones and PCs out of action, and employees going home. Merck Sharp & Dohme (MSD), the U.K. subsidiary of Merck, confirmed its network was compromised. "We're trying to understand the level of impact," a spokesperson said. "We're trying to operate as normally as possible."

Ukraine the main target

The impact initially appeared to be most severe in Ukraine, with very few in the U.S., according to Kaspersky. The organization managing the zone of the Chernobyl disaster fallout said it had to switch radiation monitoring services on industrial sites to manual as they had to shut all Windows computers down, though automated systems for the rest of the zone operated normally. The main Chernobyl plant website has also been closed.

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/06/27/ransomware-spreads-rapidly-hitting-power-companies-banks-airlines-metro
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Another Massive Ransomware Outbreak Is Going Global Fast
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:22:23 pm »
If you patch and don't download stupid emails you should be safe.  This is using the same methods as that last one.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.