Author Topic: Passed my CCW Class  (Read 5143 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Passed my CCW Class
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:10:03 pm »
Took it on post on Sunday.  It was a packed class....20 students including myself and my wife.

The "legal" portion of the class was drool inducing...but thankfully almost 20 years in the Army had me ready for this kind of torture.

A few observations from the class:

There were a couple people that they bought the gun they brought to class specifically for this class and hadn't fired it prior to coming to the class.

When the instructor was going over the "how to clean your gun" portion of the class...there were many people who even though they had owned them for a couple years they were unfamiliar with or had forgotten how to field strip their weapons.

A couple of people...the ones that had bought their gun just to attend this class had trouble hitting a man sized silhouette at 7 yards...one lady put two round out of two magazines in the black...you need to hit 11 out of 20 to pass the range portion of the test.

One of the "can't hit the target shooters" was being shown by an RSO how to adjust her grip on the S&W .380 she was using...the slide was locked back but that didn't stop her from having her finger wrapped completely around the trigger.  It was at that point my wife said "it's time to go".

One guy brought a Hi Point .45 as his qualifying gun.  **nononono*

My wife was the only one that qualified with a wheel gun.  The RSO's and the instructor were impressed, the other females there looked worried LOL!

One woman brought a .380 out there I'd never seen before and after researching it I would probably advise her to get rid of it...it's a Davis Arms .380

After I qualified I got to shoot a Glock 27 that was chambered (with a replacement barrel) for .357 Sig.  I was impressed.  In fact I'm starting to look at one of the X Conversion barrels for my P320 so I can alternate between 9mm and .357 Sig.

My wife and I both commented about how that was the shortest time on the firing range we'd spent since we started shooting and the fewest rounds we'd fired as well.

Right now we both feel like these two in comparison to the rest of the class:

All in all it was a good class...and necessary to get our CCDW permits in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.  And despite my stories to the extreme....there were other military types in there that were good shots and had quality weapons on them.

Now the hard part...like Tom Petty sang "The waiting is the hardest part..."

Sometime this week we should be getting via email our certificates showing we graduated the class...then we have to take that to the Sheriff's office and fill out the paperwork and pay $60 each for our permits...then wait up to 60 days to get our permits in the mail.  I'm figuring we'll have them by Labor day.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:12:32 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Passed my CCW Class
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 05:16:45 pm »
Of course you did!  Never had any doubt.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:53:36 pm »
Congratulations!

Now comes the hardest part - deciding each morning which weapon goes with which holster for the days activities.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:59:48 pm »
Congratulations!

Now comes the hardest part - deciding each morning which weapon goes with which holster for the days activities.  :laugh:

Unless I can find a comfortable IWB holster for the Sig...I'm gonna use my 1911 as my EDC gun.

The Missus bought a concealed carry purse so she will have more flexibility than I do.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:44:04 pm »
Unless I can find a comfortable IWB holster for the Sig...I'm gonna use my 1911 as my EDC gun.

The Missus bought a concealed carry purse so she will have more flexibility than I do.

Congratulations!

Where did the Missus buy her purse?

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 09:47:08 pm »
Tremors? 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 11:06:04 pm »
Congratulations!

Where did the Missus buy her purse?

There was a lady selling concealed carry purses at a kiosk in the PX here.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 11:06:16 pm »

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 11:09:04 pm »
Yup!

:beer:

Always liked the Flash and bang...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:09:52 pm by Wingnut »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 11:15:06 pm »
Congrats. I'm envious.

In my county I'll sooner headline at Teatro alla Scala than ever have a CCW.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 11:29:14 pm »
Congrats!  I LOVE my Glock 27, even in the standard .40 cal.  :tongue2:

I used to carry in my purse, but got to thinking more and more that a lot of times women's purses are what's targeted for snatch and grab, so I switched to IWB.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 11:31:30 pm »

Always liked the Flash and bang...

I bet you did.

Always thought that was one of the worst ways to carry, though I've never tried it.  One slip of the finger while your adrenaline is running could pop a balloon.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 11:38:00 pm »
I bet you did.

Always thought that was one of the worst ways to carry, though I've never tried it.  One slip of the finger while your adrenaline is running could pop a balloon.

You do have a point!  I'd hate to be known forever as "Half Sack"

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 11:53:57 pm »
After I qualified I got to shoot a Glock 27 that was chambered (with a replacement barrel) for .357 Sig.  I was impressed.  In fact I'm starting to look at one of the X Conversion barrels for my P320 so I can alternate between 9mm and .357 Sig.

My son has a Sig in .357 Sig( model # eludes me) He likes it a Lot. Later on he picked up a .40 bbl for it also.

I got lazy and just mailed off for my CCW from Florida. No class or firearms qual for Veterans.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 12:24:59 am »
My son has a Sig in .357 Sig( model # eludes me) He likes it a Lot. Later on he picked up a .40 bbl for it also.

I got lazy and just mailed off for my CCW from Florida. No class or firearms qual for Veterans.

Yeah I could have skipped the class because I'm active duty. But I thought I should go ahead and take it anyway. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 12:28:49 am »
Yeah I could have skipped the class because I'm active duty. But I thought I should go ahead and take it anyway.

Well, you were taking it with your wife.

I think when the price drops in Texas, I'll take the class. Classes will fill up then, though.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:35:31 am by Elderberry »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 12:54:34 am »

I did the same.  It was a one on one class.   We were at his indoor range.  Another guy came in and was shooting hot loads in what looked like a 357.   

As I was shooting I got hit in the stomach by a rebound.   Scared the crap outta me.   Felt like I got punched but no blood. 

I dont do indoor ranges anymore.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 01:41:01 am »
ping

Offline TheMom

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 03:34:40 am »
When I took my renewal class five years ago I was amazed at the amount of stupid questions, and sadly the inept instructor.  The instructor went over what questions would be asked on the written test and let everyone keep a cheat sheet to insure all would get 100%.

When it came to the shooting portion he broke the class down to those who could only shoot five times vs those who could shoot ten.  I chose the ten shot section.  My pistol is a Glock 9 with a Plus Two magazine . . . when the instructor saw what I was shooting he freak out and pitched a bitch because he thought my gun would shoot less than 10 shots.  Even though I told him my magazine was a Plus Two, he tried to shame me by telling everyone we could only shoot 5 times before reloading . . . I made sure to let the class know not only did the magazine in my gun hold 10 rounds, the extra magazine also held 10 bullets ~ so any time lapse was not my fault, but that of an unknowable instructor.  That guy was an ass!
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 02:08:14 pm »
I did the same.  It was a one on one class.   We were at his indoor range.  Another guy came in and was shooting hot loads in what looked like a 357.   

As I was shooting I got hit in the stomach by a rebound.   Scared the crap outta me.   Felt like I got punched but no blood. 

I dont do indoor ranges anymore.

That's good to know because my wife and I have been frequenting an indoor rage here.  Wasn't even aware that could happen.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 02:09:19 pm »
When I took my renewal class five years ago I was amazed at the amount of stupid questions, and sadly the inept instructor.  The instructor went over what questions would be asked on the written test and let everyone keep a cheat sheet to insure all would get 100%.

When it came to the shooting portion he broke the class down to those who could only shoot five times vs those who could shoot ten.  I chose the ten shot section.  My pistol is a Glock 9 with a Plus Two magazine . . . when the instructor saw what I was shooting he freak out and pitched a bitch because he thought my gun would shoot less than 10 shots.  Even though I told him my magazine was a Plus Two, he tried to shame me by telling everyone we could only shoot 5 times before reloading . . . I made sure to let the class know not only did the magazine in my gun hold 10 rounds, the extra magazine also held 10 bullets ~ so any time lapse was not my fault, but that of an unknowable instructor.  That guy was an ass!

Sadly I've read more stories than I cared to about instructors like that.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 02:16:46 pm »
That's good to know because my wife and I have been frequenting an indoor rage here.  Wasn't even aware that could happen.

Its one of the reasons you are supposed to wear safety glasses.  Even then it is an extremely remote possibility because the ranges are designed to prevent it.  Unless of course some bonehead comes in and does something stupid.    The instructor knew something happened because I reacted to the hit.   I picked up the still hot bullet and showed it to him.   It was about the size of a quarter and nearly flat.  He took one look at me and walked over and kicked the guy out.   

I prefer the fresh air and additional space between shooters in the outdoor ranges.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 02:23:24 pm »
Its one of the reasons you are supposed to wear safety glasses.  Even then it is an extremely remote possibility because the ranges are designed to prevent it.  Unless of course some bonehead comes in and does something stupid.    The instructor knew something happened because I reacted to the hit.   I picked up the still hot bullet and showed it to him.   It was about the size of a quarter and nearly flat.  He took one look at me and walked over and kicked the guy out.   

I prefer the fresh air and additional space between shooters in the outdoor ranges.

Yeah I prefer that too.  What the hell was the guy shooting?  Now I'm thinking I was very lucky a couple weeks ago when I was at the indoor range and a guy came in with a single fire M249 and started lighting it up 3 spaces down from me.  They let the same guy bring a SCAR 6.8 in while we were there as well.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 02:25:42 pm »

Thanks.  I was just curious -- my favorite Gun Toten' Mama purse is wearing out and I'm going to be in the market soon.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 02:26:53 pm »
Thanks.  I was just curious -- my favorite Gun Toten' Mama purse is wearing out and I'm going to be in the market soon.

I'll try and remember to take a look at the manufacturer tonite when I get home.