Author Topic: Ant power: Take a ride on a bus that runs on formic acid  (Read 922 times)

Offline Suppressed

Ant power: Take a ride on a bus that runs on formic acid
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:18:40 pm »
Ant power: Take a ride on a bus that runs on formic acid
By Jorn Madslien, Technology of Business reporter | 27 June 2017
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40403351

Team Fast sitting in front of their prototype bus that runs on formic acid  CHRIST CLIJSEN

A group of students has developed a way of storing energy that could be cheaper to make, more practical and more sustainable than alternative renewable fuels.

They are young and clever, and they want to change the world - one bus at a time.

"We've created the world's first bus that runs on formic acid, which is a much cheaper solution than hydrogen, yet it delivers the same environmental benefits," says Lucas van Cappellen from Team Fast, a spin-off company from Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands.

"We're building our own future."

Around 40 of his fellow students are endeavouring to develop emissions-free transport that will help in the global battle against climate change. And they're also trying to create careers for themselves.
Formic acid is found in nature, delivered in the stings and bites of ants and other insects - the Latin word for ant is formica.

And this simple carboxylic acid (chemical formula HCOOH) is already used in textiles and leather processing, as a livestock feed preservative, and is also found in some household limescale removers.

The hydrozine-filled trailer will attach to the back of the bus TEAM FAST

But Team Fast has found a way the acid can efficiently carry the ingredients needed for hydrogen fuel cells, used to power electric vehicles.

The fuel, which the team has dubbed hydrozine (not to be confused with hydrazine), is a liquid, which means you can transport it easily and refill vehicles quickly, as with conventional fuels.

The difference is that it is much cleaner.

"The tailpipe emissions are only CO2 and water," explains Mr van Cappellen. "No other harmful gases like nitric oxides, soot or sulphuric oxides are emitted."

To prove the concept in the real world, an electric bus is set to hit the road in the Netherlands later this year, where it will shuttle between running on conventional bus routes and appearing at promotional events and industry fairs.

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40403351
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

Re: Ant power: Take a ride on a bus that runs on formic acid
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:26:25 pm »
Formic acid is found in nature, delivered in the stings and bites of ants and other insects

I've got a free supply out in my yard and pastures.  I won't even charge for the privilege.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer