Author Topic: Chaffetz calls for $2,500 legislator housing stipend  (Read 1362 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Chaffetz calls for $2,500 legislator housing stipend
« on: June 27, 2017, 10:43:09 am »
Just days before he resigns from Congress, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) said Monday that House and Senate lawmakers should receive a $2,500 per month housing allowance — something he explained would help ease housing costs for members who can’t afford two mortgages or rents.

“I really do believe Congress would be much better served if there was a housing allowance for members of Congress,” Chaffetz told The Hill in an interview in his Capitol office, where he sleeps whenever he’s in Washington. “In today’s climate, nobody’s going to suggest or vote for a pay raise. But you shouldn’t have to be among the wealthiest of Americans to serve properly in Congress.”

More: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/339570-chaffetz-calls-for-2500-legislator-housing-stipend

Um .... no. You get paid, very well, for sitting on your arses, posturing, and insider trading.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:43:29 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Chaffetz calls for $2,500 legislator housing stipend
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:45:27 am »
And that's MONTHLY.....not annually.

$30K per annum might rent you a one-bedroom apartment.    But not on Capitol Hill.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 11:32:05 am »
It sounds like a lot but it is DC. I know my congressman spent at least a year living in his office.

Ideally they shouldn't need housing for more than about 3 months total per year.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 12:14:01 pm »
Just days before he resigns from Congress, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) said Monday that House and Senate lawmakers should receive a $2,500 per month housing allowance — something he explained would help ease housing costs for members who can’t afford two mortgages or rents.

Better yet, have Congressmen and Senators live in their own houses and work in offices in their own districts or state capitals respectively.  Any legislative business they need to achieve can be done by Webex.  K-Street would become vacant instantly.  And Congressmen would become accountable to their constituents.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 12:27:33 pm »
Better yet, have Congressmen and Senators live in their own houses and work in offices in their own districts or state capitals respectively.  Any legislative business they need to achieve can be done by Webex.  K-Street would become vacant instantly.  And Congressmen would become accountable to their constituents.

Exactly. Lots of pro freedom advantages to be gained by sequestering them in their own states and districts.

It would probably eliminate the professional staffer class who are little more than in house lobbyists. It would make lobbying exponentially more expensive while the average citizen can just go to the local office

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:53:43 pm »
Cry me a river. They knew what they were getting themselves into when they ran for office. They're making about $175K per year. If they can't live on that, they shouldn't be involved in appropriating funds and passing budgets.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 02:57:19 pm »
Give them rent free studio housing at Ft. Belvoir.  They can Metro to the Capitol.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:58:17 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 02:57:51 pm »

“I really do believe Congress would be much better served if there was a housing allowance for members of Congress,” Chaffetz told The Hill in an interview in his Capitol office, where he sleeps whenever he’s in Washington. “In today’s climate, nobody’s going to suggest or vote for a pay raise. But you shouldn’t have to be among the wealthiest of Americans to serve properly in Congress.”

More: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/339570-chaffetz-calls-for-2500-legislator-housing-stipend

Um .... no. You get paid, very well, for sitting on your arses, posturing, and insider trading.

How about we just let you stay in your districts and do your business from there?  There is absolutely no need for you to congregate in Washington DC theses days.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Millee

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 03:11:18 pm »
Build some dorms. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 03:21:52 pm »
Build some dorms.

That were my thought. Dorms or barracks.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 03:26:17 pm »

Let's do barracks to remind them they are but servants and nothing more.

5 AM reveille and 10 PM Lights Out sounds like a good policy to be implemented on them by me.

If they don't like that, keeping them in their home district is another option.  Empty Mordor on the Potomac.  It's a good idea.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 03:31:24 pm »
Let's do barracks to remind them they are but servants and nothing more.

5 AM reveille and 10 PM Lights Out sounds like a good policy to be implemented on them by me.

If they don't like that, keeping them in their home district is another option.  Empty Mordor on the Potomac.  It's a good idea.

Both work for me. Might be willing to go so far as to grant senators the equivalent of a BOQ, for the dignity of their states. But that's it.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 03:51:49 pm »

Agree! Give the Capitol building to national parks for tours. Sell office buildings to colleges and universities. Limit travel expenses to district/state only. Two staff persons per senator and one per rep, unless the congress critter wants to pay for more out of pocket.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 04:02:49 pm »

Ft. Belvoir is just across the river. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 04:04:26 pm »
Ft. Belvoir is just across the river.

Could always repurpose a prison. Get them used to the idea ....  :tongue2:

Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 04:08:39 pm »

Fema Trailers.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 05:45:36 pm »
All joking aside...

Virtually all of them leave Congress, millionaires. 

And while term-limits appear the solution, it would merely escalate the corruption, with a 'Get it while you can' attitude.

Have no problem with dormitory-type housing for members of the House and Senate.  But it shouldn't be 'Free'.

And while it should be luxurious in terms of amenities, we're not talking 'Watergate' prestige.

LOL!....and as long as they think they need enhanced security, build it at Joint Base Andrews...to remind them while they commute...just how lucky they are.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 08:00:18 pm »
Give them rent free studio housing at Ft. Belvoir.  They can Metro to the Capitol.
The per diem rate for DC is among the highest in the nation at roughly $250.00 per day. At the height of the oil boom, in North Dakota with rooms costing $200.00/night (if you could get one) the highest the per diem rate got was 56 dollars a day. If they are in DC, they should be able to deduct on form 2106 half of that $7500/month per diem amount or $3750/month for expenses, just for being there (no receipt required). So if the lobbyists take them out to lunch, and their expenses are little, that's that much money they don't pay taxes on, already. The 2500.00/month would be tax free money, offset (and then some) by the per diem allowance, and amount to a $30,000.00 cash raise.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 09:26:30 pm »

Love this idea!!!!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 09:50:16 pm »
Chaffetz is a piece of shit. Go live in a cardboard box under a bridge if it is such a hardship for you millionaires.