Author Topic: Trump urges India PM Modi to ease barriers for US exports, lauds strong ties  (Read 451 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump urges India PM Modi to ease barriers for US exports, lauds strong ties
CNBC, Jun 26, 2017, Reuters

U.S. President Donald Trump urged Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to do more to relax Indian trade barriers on Monday during talks in which both leaders took great pains to stress the importance of a strong U.S.-Indian relationship.

At a closely watched first meeting between the two, Trump and Modi appeared to get along well. Modi pulled in Trump for a bear hug on the stage as the cameras rolled in the Rose Garden.

"I deeply appreciate your strong commitment to the enhancement of our bilateral relations," Modi told him. "I am sure that under your leadership a mutually beneficial strategic partnership will gain new strength, new positivity, and will reach new heights."

Trump was also warm but made clear he sees a need for more balance in the U.S.-India trade relationship in keeping with his campaign promise to expand American exports and create more jobs at home. Last year the U.S. trade deficit with India neared $31 billion.

More: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/26/trump-says-india-will-join-us-to-fight-terrorism.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I'm not too aware of Modi. He seems good from all I've heard but I'm no expert.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I'm not too aware of Modi. He seems good from all I've heard but I'm no expert.

He's not bad, but don't expect many concessions from him. He very much puts India first - as he should - and is trying to bring them up to a decent standard of living. Oddly, despite his reputation as a dove on foreign policy, he's a real hardass with the Pakistanis. Doesn't give an inch, and they've been pushing in Kashmir again.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink