Author Topic: California to list glyphosate as cancer-causing; Monsanto vows fight  (Read 3277 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Glyphosate, an herbicide and the active ingredient in Monsanto Co's popular Roundup weed killer, will be added to California's list of chemicals known to cause cancer effective July 7, the state's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) said on Monday.

Monsanto vowed to continue its legal fight against the designation, required under a state law known as Proposition 65, and called the decision "unwarranted on the basis of science and the law."
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-glyphosate-california-idUSKBN19H2K1
Roundup is used in oh so many applications from the farm to the home.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: California to list glyphosate as cancer-causing; Monsanto vows fight
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 01:01:56 am »
Roundup is used in oh so many applications from the farm to the home.

I use cause I hate weeding. And all home remedies (salt, bleach) are complete garbage.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:15:51 am »
I use cause I hate weeding. And all home remedies (salt, bleach) are complete garbage.

I've had some success with high concentration vinegar.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:23:17 am »
Gasoline works 100% of the time.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 01:25:48 am »
IMO, the Californian civilization hit their high point in 1965.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:26:32 am »

Generally these home remedies kill the surface of the plant but allow the roots to live.

Roundup actually kills the roots structure of the weeds. It also kills dormant seeds in the earth.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 01:33:45 am »
Monsanto has paid off plenty of pols on both sides of the aisle. Between cleaning vinegar and a flame weeder, I have no use for their weed killer. Thanks to Baker Creek and a few other places, I also have no use for their seeds.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 01:46:43 am »
Generally these home remedies kill the surface of the plant but allow the roots to live.

Roundup actually kills the roots structure of the weeds. It also kills dormant seeds in the earth.

I watched a show last night on organic gardening with a prof from Univ Minn.  He showed almost exactly that.  4x4 plot with Roundup on one side and vinegar on the other, with applications a few days and a few weeks before.  Both killed the weeds in the short term, but they came right back with vinegar because it doesn't kill down to the root (the first time, a comment was made that repeated applications should kill it eventually).

I don't think RU kills dormant seeds however.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 01:57:04 am »
This is a post emergent.

I love this:

"California's decision makes it the national leader in protecting people from cancer-causing pesticides," said Nathan Donley, a senior scientist at the Center for Biological Diversity.

RU is a herbicide winkyhead.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 01:59:43 am »
Monsanto has paid off plenty of pols on both sides of the aisle. Between cleaning vinegar and a flame weeder, I have no use for their weed killer. Thanks to Baker Creek and a few other places, I also have no use for their seeds.

I'm with you.  We also use a flame weeder.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 02:12:50 am »
I'm with you.  We also use a flame weeder.

The problem is that farmers would have to use industrially sized flamethrowers. HEY! Maybe they could accidentally burn Sacramento to the ground.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 02:13:52 am »

I bet that is fun to use....

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 02:16:47 am »
The problem is that farmers would have to use industrially sized flamethrowers. HEY! Maybe they could accidentally burn Sacramento to the ground.

See?  There's always a silver lining.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 02:28:52 am »
I bet that is fun to use....

My dad used his to singe the last few hairs off from pigs when we butchered one.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 03:01:15 am »
I've always wondered about the epistemological soundness of the assertion that something is "known to the State of California"  (cf. Searle's "Chinese Room" thought experiment).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 03:27:39 am »

@bigheadfred I think there are plenty of organic farms that don't use glyphosate to show that it can be done.  Organic is expensive, but I believe that is a supply/demand issue more than a methodology issue.  Of course the problem with studies is that whoever pays for them tends to get the outcome they are paying for, so who do you believe?  I would rather err on the side of caution, but common sense tells me that ingesting any kind of herbicide wouldn't be good for me.  Can I wash pesticides off of whole fruit and vegetables?  Sure, but what about pre-processed foods like canned tomatoes?  Again, I would rather err on the side of caution.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 03:39:31 am »
This is a post emergent.

I love this:

"California's decision makes it the national leader in protecting people from cancer-causing pesticides," said Nathan Donley, a senior scientist at the Center for Biological Diversity.

RU is a herbicide winkyhead.

Herbicides are a type of pesticide.  When I was licensed for spraying the railroad ROW, the license document indicated that I was a certified pesticide applicator.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 03:54:15 am »
As usual it is the "sketchy science" peeps taking pot shots at Monsanto again...first it was autism and now it changes to cancer:
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/glyphosate-the-new-bogeyman/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tamar-haspel/condemning-monsanto-with-_b_3162694.html
http://blog.skepticallibertarian.com/2013/06/18/roundup-gut-bacteria-and-bad-science-reporting/

In related news, generic Round-Up (Glyphosate) is now available and I picked up some at Tractor Supply...great value and worked good.

Cheapest per oz. at TS:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/farmworks-grass-weed-killer-41-glyphosate-concentrate-2-1-2-gal
One I used:  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-pronto-big-n-tuf-41-glyphosate-weed-and-grass-killer-1-gal

I find that the "Red" Round-up concentrate with diquat is better for small hand-sprayer jobs (quicker knock down so you you can tell where you missed).

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 04:01:24 am »
IMO, the Californian civilization hit their high point in 1965.
No, they were really just starting to get high, then.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 03:01:23 pm »
I watched a show last night on organic gardening with a prof from Univ Minn.  He showed almost exactly that.  4x4 plot with Roundup on one side and vinegar on the other, with applications a few days and a few weeks before.  Both killed the weeds in the short term, but they came right back with vinegar because it doesn't kill down to the root (the first time, a comment was made that repeated applications should kill it eventually).

I don't think RU kills dormant seeds however.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

The Glyphosate of basic Roundup, the topic of the article does not work as a pre-emergent herbicide, killing seeds.

However, the Extended Control version of Roundup adds Imazapic as a pre-emergent herbicide.

https://www.roundup.com/smg/goprod/roundup-concentrate-extended-control-weed-grass-killer-plus-weed-preventer/prod70272?locale=en_US

https://www.roundup.com/smg/goprod/roundup-weed-grass-killer-concentrate-plus/prod70336

Offline Idiot

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 03:07:32 pm »
I've used roundup for years.  I'm not sure what they've changed in the formula, but it sure doesn't work like it used to.  It has to be scorching hot when you apply it, or it does basically nothing.

• Technical
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 03:08:32 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

The Glyphosate of basic Roundup, the topic of the article does not work as a pre-emergent herbicide, killing seeds.

However, the Extended Control version of Roundup adds Imazapic as a pre-emergent herbicide.

https://www.roundup.com/smg/goprod/roundup-concentrate-extended-control-weed-grass-killer-plus-weed-preventer/prod70272?locale=en_US

https://www.roundup.com/smg/goprod/roundup-weed-grass-killer-concentrate-plus/prod70336

Thank you. Yes I buy the pre-emergent stuff exclusively. Keeps stuff from growing all summer.

Offline thackney

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 03:09:13 pm »
I've used roundup for years.  I'm not sure what they've changed in the formula, but it sure doesn't work like it used to.  It has to be scorching hot when you apply it, or it does basically nothing.

http://www.randylemmon.com/lawns/gardenline-surfactants.html

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 03:20:01 pm »

A couple drops of surfactant will surprise you... Dawn dish soap... maybe a tablespoon in a standard sprayer.

And it has always not worked under 70 degrees, really seventy five.
And it has always worked better the hotter it is.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:21:30 pm by roamer_1 »