Author Topic: New study confirms the oceans are warming rapidly  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Suppressed

New study confirms the oceans are warming rapidly
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:17:15 pm »
New study confirms the oceans are warming rapidly
Although there’s some uncertainty in the distribution among Earth’s ocean basins, there’s no question that the ocean is heating rapidly

An Argo float is deployed into the ocean Photograph: CSIRO

As humans put ever more heat-trapping gases into the atmosphere, the Earth heats up. These are the basics of global warming. But where does the heat go? How much extra heat is there? And how accurate are our measurements? These are questions that climate scientists ask. If we can answer these questions, it will better help us prepare for a future with a very different climate. It will also better help us predict what that future climate will be.

The most important measurement of global warming is in the oceans. In fact, “global warming” is really “ocean warming.” If you are going to measure the changing climate of the oceans, you need to have many sensors spread out across the globe that take measurements from the ocean surface to the very depths of the waters. Importantly, you need to have measurements that span decades so a long-term trend can be established.

These difficulties are tackled by oceanographers, and a significant advancement was presented in a paper just published in the journal Climate Dynamics. That paper, which I was fortunate to be involved with, looked at three different ocean temperature measurements made by three different groups. We found that regardless of whose data was used or where the data was gathered, the oceans are warming.

Ocean heat content increase globally (top frame) and in four ocean basins (bottom frames). Illustration: Wang et al. (2017), Climate Dynamics

In the paper, we describe perhaps the three most important factors that affect ocean-temperature accuracy. First, sensors can have biases (they can be “hot” or “cold”), and these biases can change over time. An example of biases was identified in the 1940s. Then, many ocean temperature measurements were made using buckets that gathered water from ships. Sensors put into the buckets would give the water temperature. Then, a new temperature sensing approach started to come online where temperatures were measured using ship hull-based sensors at engine intake ports. It turns out that bucket measurements are slightly cooler than measurements made using hull sensors, which are closer to the engine of the ship.

[...]

Another source of uncertainty is related to the fact that we just don’t have sensors at all ocean locations and at all times. ...

Finally, temperatures are usually referenced to a baseline “climatology.” So, when we say temperatures have increased by 1 degree, it is important to say what the baseline climatology is. ...

In the study, we looked at the different ways that three groups make decisions about mapping, bias, and climatology. We not only asked how much the oceans are warming, but how the warming differs for various areas (ocean basins) and various depths. We found that each ocean basin has warmed significantly. Despite this fact, there are some differences amongst the three groups.  ...

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jun/26/new-study-confirms-the-oceans-are-warming-rapidly
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: New study confirms the oceans are warming rapidly
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 01:30:54 am »
If it comes from The Guardian, I do not trust it. They are a leftist rag and communist apologist bird cage liner.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:34:46 am »
The Oceans are rising and warming because people are peeing in the ocean. 

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 02:11:04 am »
Not buying this.

The oceans are a HUGE heat sink. It would take a lot of hot air (large temperature differential between the atmosphere and oceans) to warm the oceans in any timely fashion at all. The thermal mass of the atmosphere is tiny compared to the oceans. That hot air isn't present.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:34:03 am »
Seems like a good thing, as the plant life should be booming, and then the fish will eat them, then we eat the fish.....
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:40:29 am »
Oceans have warmed, and risen in the past long before any suggestion that human activity would have influenced/caused the warming.

Therefore there have been OTHER factors, which AlGore couldn't make money from. And which liberals couldn't use to force people out of vehicles,, and into ever more crowded violent cities, etc. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 08:06:54 am »

Submarine volcanism is on the rise, or perhaps alternately, our ability to detect and monitor it is.

Volcanism contributes heat to the water and CO2 to the system, both of which will reduce the ability of the water to maintain CO2 in solution.

As has been postulated, as the oceans warm, they will release CO2 (which is why CO2 is a trailing indicator of warming, not a forcing agent).

What the article does not say is at what level, in what area, and what rise is considered to be significant.
Too many generalities. Is the increase in temperature an artifact (measurement error or otherwise contributed to by sampling).

http://www.nature.com/news/massive-underwater-volcano-erupts-1.17463
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141014092847-97196790-underwater-volcanic-activities-increased-exponentially-in-recent-years
https://www.livescience.com/49710-sea-level-changes-underwater-eruptions.html
http://www.nowgrenada.com/2017/05/increased-activities-submarine-volcano/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/undersea-volcanoes-erupt-with-gravity-shifting-earth-s-climate/

Keeping in mind that many careers in planetary and climate science are predicated on the axiom that humans are going to cause the planet to self-immolate, those ideas will not be discarded easily even should they be incontrovertibly proven false.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 10:28:19 am »
Chop off the last 10 years of that graph and look at it: the Atlantic and pacific don't seem to be warming at all. Since 2005, despite ever greater co2 in the atmosphere.

Why?

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 12:50:50 pm »

Keeping in mind that many careers in planetary and climate science are predicated on the axiom that humans are going to cause the planet to self-immolate, those ideas will not be discarded easily even should they be incontrovertibly proven false.

They have to keep their phony baloney jobs don't you know.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:51:54 pm by Wingnut »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 12:59:53 pm »
So now my SUV is causing volcanoes?  WOW!
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 04:52:00 pm »
If it comes from The Guardian, I do not trust it. They are a leftist rag and communist apologist bird cage liner.
So they bought the Internet and redirected the link provided?

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online DB

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 11:21:27 pm »
Chop off the last 10 years of that graph and look at it: the Atlantic and pacific don't seem to be warming at all. Since 2005, despite ever greater co2 in the atmosphere.

Why?

You will also notice that many of the charts global warming proponents push start around 1979 (I didn't look at these specifically so I don't know if this applies to this case) when we were supposedly entering a new glacial period so everything looks like warming relative to that unusually cold period.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 06:31:32 pm »
So they bought the Internet and redirected the link provided?

Lookey here......
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/30/claim-oceans-are-warming-rapidly-study-says/

The guy that wrote that is doing the typical warmista schtick. He's cherry picking data from different sources and fitting them to a pre-conceived conclusion. He's a regular political contributor to the Guardian and is definitely a watermelon. That article is more proof that you should never trust anything printed in that rag.

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 06:33:24 pm »

The guy that wrote that is doing the typical warmista schtick. He's cherry picking data from different sources and fitting them to a pre-conceived conclusion. He's a regular political contributor to the Guardian and is definitely a watermelon. That article is more proof that you should never trust anything printed in that rag.

Or anything you see on the Weather Channel.  Man that place is alarmist central!

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 07:10:34 pm »
Or anything you see on the Weather Channel.  Man that place is alarmist central!

Yep. Our new satellite TV package does not include the Weather Channel and I do not miss it.