Author Topic: Theresa May faces backlash from Scotland and Wales over £1bn Tory-DUP deal  (Read 415 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Theresa May faced a backlash from politicians in Scotland, Wales and parts of England on Monday after completing a £1bn deal with the Democratic Unionist party to prop up her Conservative minority government.

Political figures lined up to demand more money for their regions after Arlene Foster’s DUP agreed to a confidence and supply arrangement in return for the additional funding alongside relaxed spending rules relating to a further £500m previously committed.

Critics also claimed the money would simply act as a downpayment after it emerged that the DUP would be seeking further concessions to continue shoring up the Tories, amid a promise to review the agreement by “mutual consent” after two years.
Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more

The former permanent secretary to the Treasury, Nick Macpherson, tweeted: “DUP will be back for more ... again and again. They have previous in such matters.”

The Labour first minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones, called the agreement outrageous, describing it as a “straight bung to keep a weak prime minister and a faltering government in office”.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/26/tories-and-the-dup-reach-deal-to-prop-up-minority-government

I hate agreeing with the Jocks and the Taffs.  **nononono*
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

Theresa May is trying very hard to bring defeat to the Tories.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn