Author Topic: Report: $15 Minimum Wage in Seattle Killed Jobs  (Read 1388 times)

rangerrebew

Report: $15 Minimum Wage in Seattle Killed Jobs
« on: June 26, 2017, 04:58:53 pm »
Posted By Bill McMorris On June 26, 2017 @ 12:40 pm In Issues | No Comments

Seattle's groundbreaking minimum wage hike hurt the low-income people that it was meant to help, according to a report prepared for the city council.

Seattle became one of the largest cities to embrace the $15 minimum wage—double the federal minimum of $7.25—in 2014, adopting an ordinance that would achieve the hike by 2017 for major employers and 2019 for small businesses. The new base rate pleased labor activists and the politically powerful Service Employees International Union, but it has dealt a blow to the take-home pay of workers even before the hike has been completed.

Article printed from Washington Free Beacon: http://freebeacon.com

URL to article: http://freebeacon.com/issues/report-15-minimum-wage-in-seattle-killed-jobs/

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Report: $15 Minimum Wage in Seattle Killed Jobs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 01:50:01 am »
And if questioned closely, I bet every one of those city councilfolk do not care if it has negative results. They got to send the correct virtue signals in support of the current narrative. Next step is to ban automated kiosks and burger machines.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 02:44:41 am »
Really getting hard to believe there are so many idiots who elect people who do not know basic ways economics work
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 02:49:48 am »
Seattle's groundbreaking minimum wage hike hurt the low-income people that it was meant to help, according to a report prepared for the city council.

And, in related news, it's been discovered that
sunlight is related to the daily rising of temperatures.

The choice is not between $7.25/hr and $15/hr,
the choice is between $7.25/hr and zero,
because many employers cannot break even
much more than $7.25/hr.

Left wing scam process:
1. Create a problem.
2. Blame the problem on the victim.
3. Use the problem as an excuse to create a bigger problem.
4. Repeat process continuously.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:57:49 am »
Really getting hard to believe there are so many idiots who elect people who do not know basic ways economics work

The schools are DESIGNED to keep students ignorant.
Not only do the great majority of students graduate
without even the slightest knowledge of economics,
but at least 90% of teachers
couldn't pass a quiz on basic economics!

If I had waited for my school to teach me everything I need to know,
I would still be very stupid!
The great majority of what I know has come from
INDEPENDENTLY searching for knowledge!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:00:49 am »

Offline rodamala

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 03:18:29 am »

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 01:23:29 pm »

Why?  The voters are idiots who do not know basic ways economics works, or non-idiots who simply through lack of education or experience do not know the basic ways economics works.  American high schools, if they offer economics at all, only do so in the context of an AP course, and it's quite easy to get a university education without taking any econ courses, and most likely picking up erroneous left-wing understandings of economics from the [Affirmative Action Beneficiary Group Name Here] Studies course you were required to take, your English lit course that was taught from a post-colonialist multicultural lesbian feminist Marxist perspective, and the like.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 02:33:01 am »
Why?  The voters are idiots who do not know basic ways economics works, or non-idiots who simply through lack of education or experience do not know the basic ways economics works.  American high schools, if they offer economics at all, only do so in the context of an AP course, and it's quite easy to get a university education without taking any econ courses, and most likely picking up erroneous left-wing understandings of economics from the [Affirmative Action Beneficiary Group Name Here] Studies course you were required to take, your English lit course that was taught from a post-colonialist multicultural lesbian feminist Marxist perspective, and the like.
Don't need a university education to understand.  I taught my daughter and son early teens on the basics of making money and how it drives our economy.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 07:12:05 am »
Don't need a university education to understand.  I taught my daughter and son early teens on the basics of making money and how it drives our economy.

This particular aspect of the economy is just basic common sense.  Among family and friends, Im the least educated, but even I know that if you add to an employer's expenses, he's going to have to find a way to recoup the added cost -- either through his workers or his customers, or hoth. 

But I guess you just can't teach common sense in a classroom. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 09:53:00 am »
It's not about the fast food worker.  It's about the union back whose contract wages are indexed off the minimum wage.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 05:49:37 am »
It's not about the fast food worker.  It's about the union hack whose contract wages are indexed off the minimum wage.

That is true.  There are many union contracts that agree that
the wage will be (insert number) times the minimum wage.

So when the minimum wage is increased,
the union wage is automatically increased by
(insert number) times the minimum wage increase.

And of course, the union dues collected from each employee
also increases by the same multiple.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 03:12:12 am »

No, but unless you actually took econ, it probably had the opposite effect:  as I wrote in my previous post, "...and most likely picking up erroneous left-wing understandings of economics from the [Affirmative Action Beneficiary Group Name Here] Studies course you were required to take, your English lit course that was taught from a post-colonialist multicultural lesbian feminist Marxist perspective, and the like."
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.