Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE-U.S. warship stayed on deadly collision course despite warning-container ship captain  (Read 502 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

EXCLUSIVE-U.S. warship stayed on deadly collision course despite warning-container ship captain
Reuters, Jun 26, 2017, Tim Kelly

TOKYO, June 26 (Reuters) - A U.S. warship struck by a container vessel in Japanese waters failed to respond to warning signals or take evasive action before a collision that killed seven of its crew, according to a report of the incident by the Philippine cargo ship's captain.

Multiple U.S. and Japanese investigations are under way into how the guided missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald and the much larger ACX Crystal container ship collided in clear weather south of Tokyo Bay in the early hours of June 17

Those who died were in their berthing compartments, while the Fitzgerald's commander was injured in his cabin, suggesting that no alarm warning of an imminent collision was sounded.

More: http://news.trust.org/item/20170626101937-6xsul

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
So this answers the question of how did a massive cargo ship sneak up on the Navy ship.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

...In the first detailed account from one of those directly involved, the cargo ship's captain said the ACX Crystal had signalled with flashing lights after the Fitzgerald "suddenly" steamed on to a course to cross its path.

The container ship steered hard to starboard (right) to avoid the warship, but hit the Fitzgerald 10 minutes later at 1:30 a.m., according to a copy of Captain Ronald Advincula's report to Japanese ship owner Dainichi Investment Corporation that was seen by Reuters....

This claim doesn't match the claim they didn't even know they hit anything at first, as a justification for waiting over an hour to report the collision.

If this was true, why did they return to previous course and sail away for half an hour before deciding to return to original location of the collision?

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
This claim doesn't match the claim they didn't even know they hit anything at first, as a justification for waiting over an hour to report the collision.

If this was true, why did they return to previous course and sail away for half an hour before deciding to return to original location of the collision?

Good catch.  Maybe they were hoping the Navy ship would sink in that time and they'd never have to report it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Phillipine cargo ship and captain hits a military vessel? Were I him, I'd not turn around either until all the contraband was safely on the sea floor. Everyone smuggles there, and I mean EVERYONE.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink