Author Topic: Professor fired after defending blacks-only event to Fox News. ‘I was publicly lynched,’ she says.  (Read 590 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Professor fired after defending blacks-only event to Fox News. ‘I was publicly lynched,’ she says.
Washington Post, Jun 26, 2017, Samantha Schmidt

Earlier this month, political commentator Lisa Durden gave a fiery interview with Tucker Carlson on Fox News, defending a Black Lives Matter chapter’s decision to host a Memorial Day event exclusively for black people.

“Boo-hoo-hoo,” Lisa Durden, who is also an adjunct professor at Essex County College in Newark, said in the June 6 television appearance. “You white people are angry because you couldn’t use your ‘white privilege’ card to get invited to the Black Lives Matter’s all-black Memorial Day celebration.”

Durden’s remarks spurred both criticism and praise on social media. But what happened less than 48 hours later prompted an even stronger reaction.

On June 8, with about a week left of her summer session of teaching, Durden’s employers at Essex County College suspended her. About two weeks later, Durden was fired from the community college.

Read more:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/26/professor-fired-after-defending-blacks-only-event-on-fox-news-i-was-publicly-lynched-she-says/?utm_term=.603a3d7138a7

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That's the worst kind of disingenuousness:  equating getting fired with getting lynched. 

Offline Night Hides Not

That's the worst kind of disingenuousness:  equating getting fired with getting lynched.

Yup, another card that's been overplayed.

A bit O/T, but back in December, I had the pleasure of meeting Charles Evers' family members...a friend of mine from college married into the family. Mr. Evers (brother of Medgar) grew up in a very different time, where "lynching" took on a completely different meaning. That "professor" deserved to be fired, if only for her gross misuse of the term.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Live by the race card, die by the race card.  8888crybaby
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy