Author Topic: College prof who said Otto Warmbier 'got what he deserved' will not return to school  (Read 740 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
College prof who said Otto Warmbier 'got what he deserved' will not return to school
Published June 26, 2017
Fox News

College professor says Warmbier got what he deserved

An adjunct anthropology professor at the University of Delaware who drew anger by criticizing the American college student who died being held captive in North Korea will not be returning to teach.

“Katherine Dettwyler, who last taught in the spring as an adjunct faculty member, will not be rehired to teach at the University in the future,” a statement from University of Delaware read.

Dettwyler said in a since-deleted message on Facebook and in the comments section of an article about the late college student on the website of conservative magazine, the National Review, that “Otto Warmbier got exactly what he deserved.”

Continued: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/26/college-prof-who-said-otto-warmbier-got-what-deserved-will-not-return-to-school.html

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Looks like she's getting what she deserves.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@TomSea

College professor says Warmbier got what he deserved

"What he DESERVED" is probably a little too strong,but it WAS no one's fault but his own that it happened,and if you read what she wrote at the link,she was 100 percent spot ON target!

Seems telling the truth these days is considered to be justification for firing you.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Looks like she's getting what she deserves.

@driftdiver

You think she should be fired for telling the truth?

Seriously?

What do YOU think will happen to people who go to NK and get caught stealing state property?  Not what you think SHOULD happen,but what you think WILL happen?

She was spot on. This was a spoiled and pampered 20-something year old male with a sense of entitlement that told him anything he wanted to do was ok because he wanted to do it. People aren't born like that. They are raised to become the self-centered selfish and conceited shitheads they become. It is unfortunate for him that THIS particular shithead didn't live long enough to discover how wrong he was.

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

You think she should be fired for telling the truth?

Seriously?

What do YOU think will happen to people who go to NK and get caught stealing state property?  Not what you think SHOULD happen,but what you think WILL happen?

She was spot on. This was a spoiled and pampered 20-something year old male with a sense of entitlement that told him anything he wanted to do was ok because he wanted to do it. People aren't born like that. They are raised to become the self-centered selfish and conceited shitheads they become. It is unfortunate for him that THIS particular shithead didn't live long enough to discover how wrong he was.

@sneakypete He deserved to die?   Was it a bad idea to go there, yes very much.   Many young people make stupid decisions.   In many cases they rely on their parents and others around them to make those decisions.

How do you know he was spoiled, or pampered or had a sense of entitlement?   Because he took a vacation?   So should every pampered kid be beat into a coma?

Online Right_in_Virginia

THE UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE PROFESSOR'S FULL FACEBOOK POST 

Is it wrong of me to think that Otto Warmbier got exactly what he deserved?

He went to North Korea for f*** sake, and then acted like a spoiled, naive, arrogant, US college student who never had to face the consequences of his actions.

I see him crying at his sentencing hearing and think 'What did you expect?'

How about the moments of thought give to all the other people in North Korea who are suffering under the repressive government there? Just because they are north Koreans, and not US citizens, we shouldn't care about them? 

I've spent my life teaching folks just like Otto (I'm a 62 year old college professor of anthropology) and Otto is typical of the mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueles (sic) males who come into my classes.

These are the same kids who cry about their grades because they didn't think they'd really have to read and study the material to get a good grade. They simply deserve a good grade for being who they are.

Or instead of crying, they bluster and threaten their female professors. His parents, ultimately, are to blame for his growing up thinking he could get away with whatever he wanted.

Maybe in the US, where young, white, rich, clueless white males routinely get away with raping women. Not so much in North Korea. And of course, it's Otto's parents who will pay the price for the rest of their lives.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4639136/Delaware-professor-attacked-Otto-Warmbier-sacked.html#ixzz4l756kJHd

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
"What he DESERVED" is probably a little too strong,but it WAS no one's fault but his own that it happened,and if you read what she wrote at the link,she was 100 percent spot ON target!

Seems telling the truth these days is considered to be justification for firing you.

I know I wouldn't go into NK, nor would I even go into Mexico these days generally-speaking.

Here is her wikipedia bio; she wrote some book on breast-feeding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Dettwyler

I don't know her political leanings; was this just a comment in the comment section of National Review? It's interesting.

It sounds like she projected her own life experiences into this situation.

The young man died, that's the sad part. She might have been able to make her point in a more tactful way.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete
He deserved to die?

@driftdiver

WHERE did I say or even imply that? The problem is being stupid has consequences,and this was no child. He was 20 years old when he VOLUNTARILY went to visit a well-known police state,and got caught trying to steal state property.

The end result was for the first time in his life there were consequences for his actions.  It seems he discovered this too soon to protect himself. Chances are he died because he got mouthy with his prison guards,still naively believing he had "rights",and they beat the absolute snot out of him. Which happens often in police states to people that decide to become speed bumps.

MOST of the fault for this rests on the shoulders of his parents,his teachers,and the US media,who have mostly drummed the idea into his empty head since he was a child that the US is a police state. He grew up seeing people doing and saying all sorts of stupid crap to cops in the US,and figured that was what to expect in NK.

By the time he could figure out he had been lied to,he was incapable of figuring anything out.

Let this be a lesson to ALL you children from leftist/NOT "liberal" homes,you have been lied to and real life can and will be very painful,and even fatal,if you run your mouth at people with guns,badges,and sticks.

Was it a bad idea to go there, yes very much.

No,it wasn't. Hundreds,maybe even thousands,of people go there each year on guided tours,and nothing happens to them.

"Stealing state property" while you are there is a VERY  bad idea,though.  It's a police state. They are not going to slap you on the hand,laugh,and tell you to go and not do it again. They see things like that as an attack on the state as well as an attack on themselves,and you are NOT going to enjoy what happens to you.

Many young people make stupid decisions.   In many cases they rely on their parents and others around them to make those decisions.

And the ones in police states pay a heavy price for it,too.

How do you know he was spoiled, or pampered or had a sense of entitlement?

Are you nuts? How many people do you know that weren't that would think stealing state property in a police state  was a good idea because rules didn't apply to him?

Because he took a vacation?   So should every pampered kid be beat into a coma?

I am not responsible for your brain farts.

Offline driftdiver

I know I wouldn't go into NK, nor would I even go into Mexico these days generally-speaking.

Here is her wikipedia bio; she wrote some book on breast-feeding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Dettwyler

I don't know her political leanings; was this just a comment in the comment section of National Review? It's interesting.

It sounds like she projected her own life experiences into this situation.

The young man died, that's the sad part. She might have been able to make her point in a more tactful way.

A general rule i try to follow - unless a person has committed a vile act such as murder, rape or the like I really try to avoid saying they deserve to die.    It usually just ends up causing trouble.

That said at the end of the day we ALL "deserve" death but I believe the price has been paid for us.

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

I am not responsible for your brain farts.

Nor I yours. 

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
No,it wasn't. Hundreds,maybe even thousands,of people go there each year on guided tours,and nothing happens to them.

No, it is indeed a bad idea. You have no rights in a police state and no protections. They send entire families to concentration camps just for the actions of one relative. One slip up and you are headed to a gulag. You don't need to actually steal a sign to get sent to a labor camp for it.
Countdown to Resignation

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
No, it is indeed a bad idea. You have no rights in a police state and no protections. They send entire families to concentration camps just for the actions of one relative. One slip up and you are headed to a gulag. You don't need to actually steal a sign to get sent to a labor camp for it.

@Restored

You have no rights anywhere but in America. Any "rights" you have in any foreign country are a gift that can be taken away at any time.

I have zero interest in going to NK. It's just one more bleak communist septic tank. Actually,one of the few surviving communist septic tanks. The USSR and China are no longer communist nations. Russia is free and China is full-on fascist,which is a huge step towards improvement over what they had before. At least now people are free to work where they want,live where they want,and even start businesses and keep most of their money as long as they try to keep a low profile and not piss off anyone important.

Even Cuba (Kuber,if you are a Kennedy) is teetering on the brink of freedom,and will dump communism like a hot rock the instant the last Castro brother dies.

Still,NK is a safe place to go as long as you remember it IS a police state,and you follow their freaking rules,just like you would if you were a guest anywhere else.

And one big rule everybody has everywhere is "Do NOT steal my property!"

Why is that so hard to remember,and why tolerate the whining of any adult that gets caught stealing in a foreign country and ends up facing THE SAME PUNISHMENTS AS THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE?

It's not like a 20 year old is too young to understand that stealing is wrong  and you will be punished if caught,even if it's someone as wonderful as you doing it.

Also,I want to interject the fact that at 20 years old with a couple of years of college behind him this goober was STILL vandalizing and stealing public property. You can bet your life it wasn't the first time he stole anything,and chances are it wasn't even the first time he ever got caught stealing anything. This was just the first time he had to face the punishment.

I especially don't feel sorry for him if what I suspect is true,and he mouthed off at the NK prison guards and they beat the snot out of him. Removing someone THAT freaking clueless from America's gene pool is more of a public service than a crime.  SOB had already been caught,and already been beaten lightly to get him to cry and condemn America at his trial,so by then he SHOULD have been aware this was no longer a game and there was nothing special about him.