Author Topic: DOE grid study has wind and solar lobbyists spooked — rightly so  (Read 6942 times)

Offline thackney

Re: DOE grid study has wind and solar lobbyists spooked — rightly so
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 08:47:10 pm »
I'm on the fence about external lighting, safety vs making myself a target -- given my neighborhood it would probably come down to how many of the neighbors were around.

After a week without power following Hurricane Ike, I counted 3 of us left out of the ~60 homes on our street. 
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 09:00:43 pm »
I live in Tampa, not much chance of pipes freezing here.
I live in North Dakota. I have known three people who did. Pipes freezing is fairly common, but with no power in the winter, both can happen.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 09:23:24 pm »
I live in North Dakota. I have known three people who did. Pipes freezing is fairly common, but with no power in the winter, both can happen.

I used to live in Aberdeen SD and had family out by Lemon SD.  There is a reason I'm in Tampa.

Each person has their own needs.  For me spending the money for a generator doesn't make sense.  Each to their own.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 09:36:36 pm »
I used to live in Aberdeen SD and had family out by Lemon SD.  There is a reason I'm in Tampa.

Each person has their own needs.  For me spending the money for a generator doesn't make sense.  Each to their own.
Yeah. It's be like buying flip flops here...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis