Author Topic: Pentagon OKs gay, active military member to wear uniform in Pride parade  (Read 523 times)

Offline Suppressed

This seemed to be of broader interest than Military News (I wish we could cross-post).  MODs, please move as appropriate. 

Pentagon OKs gay, active military member to wear uniform in Pride parade

[VIDEO]

Alex Rozier, KING 4:42 PM. PDT June 23, 2017

Thousands will make their way to Seattle this weekend for the annual Seattle Pride celebration and when they do many will be witnessing history.

Nathaniel Boehme is currently serving with the Air National Guard out of Portland, but on Sunday he will make history when he becomes the first active-duty gay military member, with permission from the Pentagon, to march in uniform in Seattle’s Pride Parade.

Boehme enlisted just six days before the September 11 terror attack, and for years he served quietly as a gay man.

“In my time in Iraq I served under ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’ and I had to, much like many of my colleagues had to serve in silence,” Boehme said.

But over time many things have changed. He is now married to his husband and after three years of work he received the permission he needed to march in the parade. Not long ago he received a letter approving the effort from a Lieutenant General at the Pentagon.

“I honestly cried a little bit. I teared up. . . .

Excerpt.  Read more and view video at http://www.king5.com/news/local/gay-military-member-to-march-in-pride-parade/451527983
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline skeeter

This is such bulls*t. That uniform represents more than just the wearer. The last thing it should be used for is to promote an individual's deviant sexual habits.

If these LGBT folks want to drum up real resentment and p*ss away any goodwill they may have built up among the rank & file they couldn't be doing a better job.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:25:31 pm by skeeter »

Offline mountaineer

I had to, much like many of my colleagues had to serve in silence
He is under the misapprehension that 1) he had something to say, and 2) we wanted to hear it. There's a lot to be said for silence.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

I can't believe Obama okayed this.

Oh, wait.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Victoria33

He is under the misapprehension that 1) he had something to say, and 2) we wanted to hear it. There's a lot to be said for silence.
@mountaineer

When does the parade for straight people start?  If the gays have to have a parade because they wants to know they are perverts, there should be parade for straight people.  I don't know how we made it this far without a straight people parade.  How are you going to get across to people you are straight, unless you have a parade?