Author Topic: Arizona is so hot right now planes can’t take off and plastic and paint is melting  (Read 1426 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
By Greg Hadley  ghadley@mcclatchy.com

Something light to start the week....

Arizona is no stranger to heat waves. But even by natives’ own high standards, the past week has been scorching.

The Guinness World Record for hottest temperature ever recorded is 134 degrees Fahrenheit. In Phoenix and Tempe, Arizona, it’s touched 119 degrees and just barely gone below 90 at any point over the past week, according to the National Weather Service.

It’s been so hot that regional flights in Phoenix have been canceled, because some planes cannot be operated in the excessive heat, according to the Washington Post.

And according to social media users, the heat has made some strange things happen on the ground, including melting mailboxes, actual cookies baked in a car and drivers busting out oven mitts just to grab the steering wheel.

More at The Olympian:  http://www.theolympian.com/news/nation-world/national/article158071789.html#fmp

For the record, if you don't put a screen in your windshield or at least a towel over your steering wheel,  you will get second-degree burns on your fingers twisting the ignition key all summer, every summer.  It's a fact of life you get used to out here.  Fun pics and tweets at the link.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm overheating at 80 degrees.

I can't see why anyone would want to live or retire to a place like that.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
You're a tough man, Cyber!

Offline Idiot

But it's a dry heat....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL......

Offline NavyCanDo

And that's why I would  live no place else other than the Pacifc Northwest. Moderate all year, rarely touching the extremes.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Best Winters in the world, and the snowbirds flee during the Summer.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You're a tough man, Cyber!

Naw, I hide during the day.  Used to be from the sun, now it's from my boss.
I will NOT comply.

Offline NavyCanDo

I would have to question the accuracy of the story since the story was written by an Olympia WA newspaper with Washington Post sources. Locals from AZ would probably say its an exagerated story. And I check departures at PHX and it seems to be normal traffic.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I would have to question the accuracy of the story since the story was written by an Olympia WA newspaper with Washington Post sources. Locals from AZ would probably say its an exagerated story. And I check departures at PHX and it seems to be normal traffic.

It is an exaggerated story, but the commuter flights with turboprop planes were suspended for a few hours Mon, Tue and Wed.  118 F max for takeoff with those props.
I will NOT comply.

Offline rodamala

In Hobbs, NM, when it gets up there in the 100s, the road department would be out with sand trucks, spreading sand on the roads because the asphalt in pavement would become liquid.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
But it's a dry heat....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL......

Here it's steamed heat...(singing)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Naw, I hide during the day.  Used to be from the sun, now it's from my boss.

Who's that? The wife. Or the cats?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
In Hobbs, NM, when it gets up there in the 100s, the road department would be out with sand trucks, spreading sand on the roads because the asphalt in pavement would become liquid.
I think a few places in New York would love to have that happen so that they could smooth out all the potholes! (Alas, there are probably too many trees around to have that effect even if it ever did get that hot.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Who's that? The wife. Or the cats?

The "real boss" at work, the one who approves my paychecks.  I could never hide from my baby or fur-babies.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Idiot

I drove to our local Lowes (my favorite place), this past week.  They had just finished resurfacing their parking lot with new seal coating.  It was 104 outside and the cars driving on it were peeling up the fresh parking lot.  Now it looks horrible. 

Silver Pines

I just couldn't stand it.  It's true, @Cyber Liberty---you're tough.

It's going to be around 80 today, and I'm looking forward to the cold winter wind. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I just couldn't stand it.  It's true, @Cyber Liberty---you're tough.

It's going to be around 80 today, and I'm looking forward to the cold winter wind.

We're getting a break today...it's only supposed to get to 111F.  The Dew Point is also rising, which means Monsoons are on the way.  Yay.

:boring:
I will NOT comply.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I can't wait to see how hot it gets during the peak in Late July - September.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

It gets pretty warm then, after the rains cool things off for a while.  The record-breaking heat usually comes in June.  July 4 has been hot as heck for as long as I remember.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Idiot

It gets pretty warm then, after the rains cool things off for a while.  The record-breaking heat usually comes in June.  July 4 has been hot as heck for as long as I remember.
Globull warming dontcha know.....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Hey, @AbaraXas , I gotta say, I like your new avatar.  That other one was making my eyes hurt.