Author Topic: What Is Eid al-Fitr and Why Isn’t Trump Hosting a Traditional Iftar Dinner to Celebrate?  (Read 1221 times)

rangerrebew

What Is Eid al-Fitr and Why Isn’t Trump Hosting a Traditional Iftar Dinner to Celebrate?
By Jason Le Miere On 6/24/17 at 1:00 PM

Ramadan will come to an end this weekend with the major Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr, and thus far President Donald Trump’s recognition of Islam’s holiest month has been limited to a statement that almost exclusively addressed violence and terrorism.

Related: What is Ramadan? Under Trump, Muslims think it’s more important than ever that Americans know

Breaking with a tradition that dates back more than 20 years, to Bill Clinton’s administration, the White House will not be hosting an iftar—the meal Muslims consume to break their fast—in 2017.

http://www.newsweek.com/eid-al-fitr-trump-iftar-ramadan-628784
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:28:33 am by rangerrebew »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Perhaps because islam is incompatible with Judeo-Christian values  and the Constitution? The Founders never imagined that such barbarity would reach our shores.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ConservativeGranny

Trump did issue a statement:

"Muslims in the United States joined those around the world during the holy month of Ramadan to focus on acts of faith and charity," Trump's statement read. "During this holiday, we are reminded of the importance of mercy, compassion, and goodwill. With Muslims around the world, the United States renews our commitment to honor these values. Eid Mubarak"

From my research I discovered that Jefferson also held a dinner for a Muslim ambassador to the US back in 1805. The dinner wasn't planned as a celebration of the holiday but the time of the dinner was changed so that the ambassador could honor his religious traditions.

Other than that the only presidents I could find mention of that held a dinner to celebrate this Muslim holiday were Clinton, Bush, and Obama. Hardly a long-time tradition.

We are a Christian country therefore I think that only Christian holidays should be officially celebrated by the WH.

Offline Cripplecreek

Trump did issue a statement:

"Muslims in the United States joined those around the world during the holy month of Ramadan to focus on acts of faith and charity," Trump's statement read. "During this holiday, we are reminded of the importance of mercy, compassion, and goodwill. With Muslims around the world, the United States renews our commitment to honor these values. Eid Mubarak"

From my research I discovered that Jefferson also held a dinner for a Muslim ambassador to the US back in 1805. The dinner wasn't planned as a celebration of the holiday but the time of the dinner was changed so that the ambassador could honor his religious traditions.

Other than that the only presidents I could find mention of that held a dinner to celebrate this Muslim holiday were Clinton, Bush, and Obama. Hardly a long-time tradition.

We are a Christian country therefore I think that only Christian holidays should be officially celebrated by the WH.

Judeo-Christian so only Jewish and Christian holidays should be officially recognized. However neither religion requires others to celebrate.

Jews were here with Christians almost from the very beginning. Ben Franklon was the largest single donor to the first Synagogue built in Boston. I've also read an order from General Washington that "Hebrew" soldiers be given every opportunity to observe their religious practices whenever possible.

I don't think the first mosque was built in this country till the very late 1800s

Offline Suppressed

Actually, we're not.

Efforts to put Christianity into the Constitution have been shot down both before its ratification and in the 19th Century.  Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Jamilton, etc. all made clear statements of religious luberty.  Heck, Hamilton might have actually been Jewish himself!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

Actually, we're not.

Efforts to put Christianity into the Constitution have been shot down both before its ratification and in the 19th Century.  Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, etc. all made clear statements of religious liberty.  Heck, Hamilton might have actually been Jewish himself!

True enough but our founding principles are Judeo-Christian. The very seeds of our revolution were planted by men like Reverend George Whitfield who preached the fundamental Christian principles of self determination.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
How about celebrating what you want and not expecting others to either celebrate your religious holidays, nor permitting them to force you to celebrate theirs?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
First mosque in USA in  1929 in North Dakota, second in Iowa in 1934- not many muslims in the USA until the 20th century.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Suppressed

First mosque in USA in  1929 in North Dakota, second in Iowa in 1934- not many muslims in the USA until the 20th century.

True, but they were here. Heck, even George Washington gave specific instructions to hire Muslims ("Mahometans") or atheists, not just Christians or Jews, as workmen at Mount Vernon, and that was 1784.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

How about celebrating what you want and not expecting others to either celebrate your religious holidays, nor permitting them to force you to celebrate theirs?

What a radical concept!   ^-^
+++++++++

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Three presidents hosted a Ramadan dinner:  Clinton, Bush Jr. and Obama.   ---  Hardly a US tradition.