Author Topic: Smoking is finally dying out among young people in the UK and US  (Read 691 times)

rangerrebew

21 June 2017, updated 22 June 2017
Smoking is finally dying out among young people in the UK and US

SMOKING is rapidly dying out in the UK and US among young people – the first generation to come of age surrounded by laws that discourage smoking.

Figures from the UK Office for National Statistics reveal that the proportion of smokers in the country fell to 15.5 per cent in 2016, down 4 percentage points from 2010. Although 19.3 per cent of 18 to 24-year-olds smoke, this group has shown the biggest decline, by 6.5 percentage points.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23431313-800-smoking-is-finally-dying-out-among-young-people-in-the-uk-and-us/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:45:48 pm by rangerrebew »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Smoking is finally dying out among young people in the UK and US
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 02:26:55 pm »
Cuz they're all smoking weed now? Funny how smoking one type of leaf is bad for your lungs, yet the other good.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:46:50 pm »
Cuz they're all smoking weed now? Funny how smoking one type of leaf is bad for your lungs, yet the other good.

There has been lots of study of this. Tobacco smoke has the quantity problem.  Just nowhere near as much is inhaled by Marijuana users.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 04:58:20 pm »
Or 'vaping'...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 05:17:43 pm »
What I find fascinating is smoking (tobacco) is very high among people who are diagnosed schizophrenic or bipolar for some reason. It calms them.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 05:36:57 pm »
Not to worry.  Tobacco products are bad bad bad but marijuana is good good good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 10:13:01 pm »
What I find fascinating is smoking (tobacco) is very high among people who are diagnosed schizophrenic or bipolar for some reason. It calms them.
As I recall, there was a serious increase in people taking mood regulating drugs when the jihad against tobacco began. No longer were people self-medicating when they felt a need with a cigarette. In some workplaces and many other circumstances, the ability to do so was removed, either by regulation, legislation, or under the threat of loss of employment. But suddenly, there were 'depressed' people behind every bush, taking medication that could be patented, yet did not have thousands of years (hundreds of years with Europeans) of experience behind it. SO, with the SSRIs and MAOIs and other lovely chemicals that did work for some (and still do) there were instances of absolute horror show reactions no one had to tobacco.

Also, if you will, recall the wounded in war movies smoking a cigarette, or people who had just been through a deeply affecting circumstance, be it a death in the family, an accident, or some other shock, they all smoked a cigarette (or more than one). The physiological effects of nicotine, constricting the peripheral blood vessels, driving the blood supply to the body core help ward off shock and commonly had a calming effect. This is something I witnessed when I was a fireman, working as EMS, especially with people who had been injured and those who had had a serious close call (or very bad news). Those physiological effects are the same reason someone who does not normally smoke will bum a cigarette when they are exceptionally drunk, to offset the vasodilation effects of the alcohol and feel more sober.

Of course, none of these benefits could withstand the onslaught of popular science telling us how 'evil' tobacco was. ...and at least the kids shooting up their high school didn't smell like tobacco smoke.

If that seems intense for some, I grew up working in my grandfather's tobacco fields, and saw the economic benefit of being able to raise a cash crop on a few acres that could put kids through college. That's all gone now, for the most part where I grew up, along with the work ethic, and the opportunities it presented. We all knew that smoking wasn't good for you, and we knew why, but we saw the benefits it gave people too. In the examination of a crop that was once used as money, none of the benefits were considered, they were summarily dismissed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:41:21 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis