Author Topic: The NRA Shuns a Second Amendment Martyr  (Read 3197 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The NRA Shuns a Second Amendment Martyr
« on: June 24, 2017, 01:50:06 am »
Reason.com by Jacob Sullum | June 21, 2017

Philando Castile died because he exercised his right to bear arms.

Philando Castile did what you are supposed to do if you have a concealed-carry permit and get pulled over by police: He let the officer know he had a gun. Had Castile been less forthcoming, he would still be alive.

Last Friday a Minnesota jury acquitted the cop who killed Castile of second-degree manslaughter, demonstrating once again how hard it is to hold police accountable when they use unnecessary force. The verdict also sends a chilling message to gun owners, since Castile is dead because he exercised his constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

Jeronimo Yanez, an officer employed by the St. Anthony, Minnesota, police department, stopped Castile around 9 p.m. on July 6 in Falcon Heights, a suburb of Minneapolis and St. Paul. The official reason was a nonfunctioning brake light.

The actual reason, according to Yanez, was that Castile resembled a suspect in a convenience store robbery that had happened four days before in the same neighborhood. The full extent of the resemblance was that Castile, like the suspect, was black, wore glasses and dreadlocks, and had a "wide-set nose."

Castile, a 32-year-old cafeteria manager, had nothing to do with the robbery. But in Yanez's mind, Castile posed a threat.

The traffic stop began politely but turned deadly within a minute. Audio and video of the encounter show that Yanez asked for Castile's proof of insurance and driver's license.

After Castile handed over his insurance card, he calmly informed Yanez, "Sir, I have to tell you that I do have a firearm on me." Yanez interrupted him, saying, "OK, don't reach for it, then."

Castile and his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, repeatedly assured the officer that Castile was not reaching for the weapon. But by now Yanez was in full panic mode.

"Don't pull it out!" he screamed, immediately drawing his weapon and firing seven rounds into the car, heedless of Reynolds and her 4-year-old daughter, who was in the backseat. Mortally wounded, Castile moaned and said, "I wasn't reaching for it."

More: http://reason.com/archives/2017/06/21/the-nra-shuns-a-second-amendment-martyr

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Re: The NRA Shuns a Second Amendment Martyr
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:40:04 pm »
Castile made the mistake of continuing to pull his gun after the officer told him to stop.

He did everything you're not supposed to do when you're stopped by a cop and you a) have a CCDW permit and b) have your carry weapon on you.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 04:57:47 pm »
To me it doesn't look like his partner even drew his firearm.    If you're a cop and your partner is shooting someone and you choose not to pull your gun.....

This was bad and this guy shouldn't have been a cop.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:07:05 pm »
Just because this loser cop didn't get jail time doesn't mean he isn't going to pay. There isn't a jury around that won't award huge damages. Yanez better get ready to live in a cardboard box the rest of his life.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 05:09:27 pm »
Just because this loser cop didn't get jail time doesn't mean he isn't going to pay. There isn't a jury around that won't award huge damages. Yanez better get ready to live in a cardboard box the rest of his life.

I think the city already settled for $3m.    That alone will keep him from getting another job in law enforcement.

I doubt he'll pay anything personally though.  All the money is coming from the cities insurance company & state.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 06:33:42 pm »
Castile made the mistake of continuing to pull his gun after the officer told him to stop.

He did everything you're not supposed to do when you're stopped by a cop and you a) have a CCDW permit and b) have your carry weapon on you.

I have not seen any evidence that Castile tried to pull his gun, but he did commit what turned out to be a fatal error in how he behaved during the stop.

He did not deserve to die because of it. Having seen the video (and having watched it with a police officer) we both concluded that the cop panicked and forgot his training.

What Castile ought to have done is keep his hands in plain view, preferably on the steering wheel, and not moved without explicitly asking permission to do so and then, describing his action ("Officer, my license and registration are on the front passenger seat. May I slowly reach for them with my right hand at this time?").

If you are the subject of a traffic stop, always prepare your documents (license/reg) before the cop gets to your window, which ought to be open before he gets there. Always keep your hands in plain sight, on the wheel or on the door frame. And never tell a cop you are carrying unless you are asked, and then make damn sure to keep your hands fully within his field of vision.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 06:38:09 pm »
I have not seen any evidence that Castile tried to pull his gun, but he did commit what turned out to be a fatal error in how he behaved during the stop.

I thought I had read in the Daily Mail story that Castile had reached for his gun.  I could be wrong.

What Castile ought to have done is keep his hands in plain view, preferably on the steering wheel, and not moved without explicitly asking permission to do so and then, describing his action ("Officer, my license and registration are on the front passenger seat. May I slowly reach for them with my right hand at this time?").

He'd still be alive and we wouldn't be discussing this had he done that.

[/i]If you are the subject of a traffic stop, always prepare your documents (license/reg) before the cop gets to your window, which ought to be open before he gets there. Always keep your hands in plain sight, on the wheel or on the door frame. And never tell a cop you are carrying unless you are asked, and then make damn sure to keep your hands fully within his field of vision.
[/quote]
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 06:38:48 pm »

He did not deserve to die because of it. Having seen the video (and having watched it with a police officer) we both concluded that the cop panicked and forgot his training.

If you are the subject of a traffic stop, always prepare your documents (license/reg) before the cop gets to your window, which ought to be open before he gets there. Always keep your hands in plain sight, on the wheel or on the door frame. And never tell a cop you are carrying unless you are asked, and then make damn sure to keep your hands fully within his field of vision.

The cop was stupid and panicked.  Concealed permit holders are about the last people that are gonna try to shoot a cop.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 07:14:52 pm »
I thought I had read in the Daily Mail story that Castile had reached for his gun.  I could be wrong.

He'd still be alive and we wouldn't be discussing this had he done that.

[/i]If you are the subject of a traffic stop, always prepare your documents (license/reg) before the cop gets to your window, which ought to be open before he gets there. Always keep your hands in plain sight, on the wheel or on the door frame. And never tell a cop you are carrying unless you are asked, and then make damn sure to keep your hands fully within his field of vision.

I would have to question that advice.  I believe in my LTC class, we were told to tell the officer we have the licences and if we were carrying.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:15:22 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 07:19:10 pm »
I would have to question that advice.  I believe in my LTC class, we were told to tell the officer we have the licences and if we were carrying.

Our instructor told us we don't have to in Kentucky...but he highly advised it.

I'm guessing the requirement varies by law from state to state.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 07:32:15 pm »
Our instructor told us we don't have to in Kentucky...but he highly advised it.

I'm guessing the requirement varies by law from state to state.

I've read, but haven't checked, that Texas requires you to tell the officer if you a carrying, but provided no penalty in the law for not doing so.

My thoughts, I never want to surprise the police making the stop.  I tell him up front I have a license and if I am carrying.  I will ask or at least wait with my hands on the steering wheel, what I should do next.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 07:33:59 pm »
I've read, but haven't checked, that Texas requires you to tell the officer if you a carrying, but provided no penalty in the law for not doing so.

When my brother first got his, it was stapled to the back of his DL so the local cop DPS etc could easily know you had a permit.

My thoughts, I never want to surprise the police making the stop.  I tell him up front I have a license and if I am carrying.  I will ask or at least wait with my hands on the steering wheel, what I should do next.

That's my line of thought too.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 07:40:07 pm »

In my state, licenses are no longer required, but they are voluntary. If a cop pulls you over, his computer tells him if you are or have been licensed to carry (as well as any criminal record). In my case, the NRA and GOA stickers are probably a dead giveaway. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn