Author Topic: California Bans Travel to Four States  (Read 2197 times)

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: California Bans Travel to Four States
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 03:11:19 am »
It's California.
Who cares if they "ban" travel to some other states?

If I was living in those four states, I'd be cheering!

In fact, I'd ask the California legislature to ban ALL Californians from traveling to ANY other state. Well, let 'em go to Illinois, maybe, or perhaps Hawaii... ;)

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 05:12:07 am »
We'll be leaving Austin soon, been here since the early '80s.  The good news is that we'll make a ton of money when we sell our house.  The bad news is what has happened to Austin over the past few decades.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 07:17:12 am »
The most prominent thing any ban like this affects is college sports at state=owned universities. If UCLA had a game scheduled in Texas, for example, they couldn't travel there on the university's dime. The students and coaches would have to arrange their own flights or forfeit the games.

You think it will actually affect them?  I remember when they first initiated the ban (there were already four on the list before these) there were a bunch of loopholes, such as pre-existing contractual obligations (which I suppose you could apply to scheduled NCAA games).

Looks like UCLA does have a game scheduled in a banned state:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/23/californias-travel-ban-how-does-it-affect-college-sports/
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 07:29:52 am »
These travel bans are similar to the NCAA boycott of North Carolina and so many other liberal "rules".  They take the approach, "we know better than you".

And that bothers me a lot.  Instead of have 50 different experiments out there to see which rise to the top (not you Illinois) they instead take the elitist position of power and control.  We know better, sit down and shut up.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 11:41:35 am »
We'll be leaving Austin soon, been here since the early '80s.  The good news is that we'll make a ton of money when we sell our house.  The bad news is what has happened to Austin over the past few decades.

Yes, I agree - Austin isn't Austin anymore.  I sold my house there about 10 years ago because I got tired of working to pay property taxes.  Oh, and the traffic.

Are you going far?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 12:10:37 pm »
Yes, I agree - Austin isn't Austin anymore.  I sold my house there about 10 years ago because I got tired of working to pay property taxes.  Oh, and the traffic.

Are you going far?
grew up in Austin during the 60s.  Life was good there from everything from watching the Batman premier at the Paramount to shooting jackrabbits at Robert Mueller airport to watching wrestling at the Old Coliseum to eating BBQ at the Shanty and Chicken Fried Steak at the Stallion and driving over, not below, the Mansfield dam.  Even had a good football team back then.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 01:36:20 pm »

Are you going far?

The traffic is worse today. Bumper to bumper on I-35 at 2PM on Saturday. On the trip back, I discovered that Hwy 281 didn't save me any time either. Population growth has outpaced the infrastructure.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.