Author Topic: Ten Earth-Sized Planets Found by Exoplanet-Hunting Telescope  (Read 716 times)

rangerrebew

Ten Earth-Sized Planets Found by Exoplanet-Hunting Telescope

By JoAnna Wendel 22 June 2017

NASA introduced 219 exoplanet candidates to the world on Monday. Ten of these are roughly Earth sized and orbit their stars in the so-called habitable zone, a distance at which temperatures could be ripe for liquid water.

The candidate exoplanets appear in the eighth and newest catalog from the agency’s exoplanet-hunting Kepler space telescope and the final catalog from Kepler’s observations of the Cygnus constellation. The new catalog includes 4034 exoplanet candidates overall.

https://eos.org/articles/ten-earth-sized-planets-found-by-exoplanet-hunting-telescope
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:34:05 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Ten Earth-Sized Planets Found by Exoplanet-Hunting Telescope
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 05:11:37 pm »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:39:03 pm »
I doubt it. The so-called "habitable zone" may be a myth, since radiant output of the stars within the plane of the planetary orbits of the systems cannot be measured accurately because the internal zone proximate to the central star is obscured by dust and debris/ So the astronomers are guessing about the habitable zone. Atheists are always trying to push the notion that "it's only a matter of time" until extraterrestrial life is discovered - so they can then insist that God does not exist.

For militant atheists, the discovery would be their signal to declare Humanity to be "nothing special" and so they wait anxiously for the day to arrive. All of the insinuations made by nihilist scientists that "life in the universe is likely everywhere" fall very short of supporting fact.

Every time I hear another militant atheist egghead mocking theists because there are so many "potentially habitable planets", I ask myself, "Yet, we have never heard from them. Why can't atheists explain the Fermi Paradox?"

Until the atheists can do that, I laugh at their idiocy in suggesting that intelligent life in the universe is probably very common. It's certainly not common on Earth.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:41:59 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Online kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 12:38:41 am »
I doubt it. The so-called "habitable zone" may be a myth, since radiant output of the stars within the plane of the planetary orbits of the systems cannot be measured accurately because the internal zone proximate to the central star is obscured by dust and debris/ So the astronomers are guessing about the habitable zone. Atheists are always trying to push the notion that "it's only a matter of time" until extraterrestrial life is discovered - so they can then insist that God does not exist.

For militant atheists, the discovery would be their signal to declare Humanity to be "nothing special" and so they wait anxiously for the day to arrive. All of the insinuations made by nihilist scientists that "life in the universe is likely everywhere" fall very short of supporting fact.

Every time I hear another militant atheist egghead mocking theists because there are so many "potentially habitable planets", I ask myself, "Yet, we have never heard from them. Why can't atheists explain the Fermi Paradox?"

Until the atheists can do that, I laugh at their idiocy in suggesting that intelligent life in the universe is probably very common. It's certainly not common on Earth.

A simple solution to the Fermi Paradox is that it's simply not possible to travel between the stars, or to even engage in any significant communication.  If that's true, the universe could be rife with life, even intelligent life, and we'd never know it, at least not at our prior technological levels.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 04:29:04 pm »
A simple solution to the Fermi Paradox is that it's simply not possible to travel between the stars, or to even engage in any significant communication.  If that's true, the universe could be rife with life, even intelligent life, and we'd never know it, at least not at our prior technological levels.

Let's hope that the solution doesn't include Sagan's Shiny Red Button.

Possible but IMO unlikely that interstellar communication is impossible due to physics (maybe metaphysics). Technology continues apace and seems to be the only thing (other than Natural Law) which is unaffected by political tides. Governments rise/fall but the technology endures to be applied by new rulers.

The projections of the increases in Humanity's power control seem legitimate and if so, the capability to generate/harnass energies sufficeint to send information across interstellar space  may be within sight of our current generation. All we need is a spotlight that's bright enough to be seen a distance of 669 milliion mph x5 solar years away. Imagine what might be possible for a technology 1 million or a billion years old instead of the few thousands of Humanity.

Impossible? Maybe. But I see no evidence human beings will not continue to follow the technology parabola straight up until it has the power to send digital code or something equivalent across interstellar distances.
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)