Author Topic: Cruz floats amendment to Senate healthcare bill  (Read 8428 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Cruz floats amendment to Senate healthcare bill
« on: June 23, 2017, 12:56:42 pm »
The Hill, Jun 22, 2017

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) wants to offer an amendment to the Senate healthcare bill that would allow insurers to sell plans that are not compliant with ObamaCare requirements.

The "Consumer Freedom Amendment" would leave existing ObamaCare plans on the individual market, while also allowing insurers to sell plans that don't comply with requirements of the Affordable Care Act.

"What that does — it leaves existing plans on the market but it gives new options so that people can purchase far more affordable health insurance. It will enable a lot more people to be able to afford buying health insurance," Cruz told The Hill on Thursday afternoon.

Cruz's amendment would allow insurers to continue offering plans that follow ObamaCare's "Title One" requirements, including essential health benefits, which mandates 10 services insurers must cover with no cost-sharing.

But insurers could also sell skimpier, cheaper plans that don't cover those 10 services or meet other ObamaCare requirements.

"If a health insurer offers a plan consistent with the Title One mandates, insurers can also sell in that same state any other plans that consumers desire," Cruz said.

More: http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/339033-cruz-floats-amendment-to-senate-healthcare-bill

Re: Cruz floats amendment to Senate healthcare bill
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:57:18 pm »
More choice .... this is a good thing.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:59:19 pm »
That would be a very good thing. 

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:09:32 pm »
I'm still puzzled at the reason that the Federal government must regulate health care.  I can't find that in the Constitution no where. :shrug:
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:38:11 pm »
While his amendment offers more choices, he also specifically states " insurers can also sell in that same state".  The amendment doesn't go far enough; it doesn't open up the opportunity to sell across state lines which would open up the free marketplace.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 01:38:56 pm »
I'm still puzzled at the reason that the Federal government must regulate health care.  I can't find that in the Constitution no where. :shrug:

Ted?  What about repeal???
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 01:52:14 pm »
While his amendment offers more choices, he also specifically states " insurers can also sell in that same state".  The amendment doesn't go far enough; it doesn't open up the opportunity to sell across state lines which would open up the free marketplace.
:thumbsup:
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 02:00:03 pm »
The Hill, Jun 22, 2017

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) wants to offer an amendment to the Senate healthcare bill that would allow insurers to sell plans that are not compliant with ObamaCare requirements.

OMG !  ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?

You mean to tell me that the Senate bill doesn't even get rid of the Obamacare insurance mandates?  What in the hell is going on here?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 02:05:21 pm »
More choice .... this is a good thing.

Damn Right!  And this would, IMHO, amount to repealing Ocare!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 02:07:12 pm »

This amendment, if adopted, would amount to repeal!  Think it through!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 02:08:17 pm »
Insurance that is insurance would be for large medical expenses. If people have to pay for routine care then competition will drive down the cost of that care.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 02:12:24 pm »

That is what Trump had said he would do.  I would like to know all the things that are required for the Obama care.  I imagine abortion and gender reassignment are on the list.  Cheaper plans that don't include things like that is a great idea.  They should offer catastrophic only at a very low rate.  I know that when I didn't have insurance the walk in clinics at the pharmacy are very affordable for colds that won't go away.  Sinus infections or any other minor things you go to the doctor for.  Even with insurance I tend to go there.  Don't have to wait a month to see a doctor.  Not much more than the co pay.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 02:26:41 pm »

Needs to be repealed.  In another article it said the 4 Senators holding out wanted repeal.  That is what was promised.  That is what we should get.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 02:29:04 pm »

OMG !  ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?

You mean to tell me that the Senate bill doesn't even get rid of the Obamacare insurance mandates?  What in the hell is going on here?

Typical Republican shell game. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 02:29:25 pm »
Needs to be repealed.  In another article it said the 4 Senators holding out wanted repeal.  That is what was promised.  That is what we should get.

Cruz is one of those 4.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 02:30:02 pm »

@libertybele

This "free marketplace" mantra may be overstated.

Insurance CAN be sold across state lines, but each state still regulates the insurance policies available within its borders.  Out-of-state insurance companies are limited to the same policy regulations as in-state companies. 

As of last month, five states had passed legislation allowing insurance plans that cross state lines: Rhode Island, Wyoming, Georgia, Kentucky and Maine. Georgia's law has been in effect since 2011, yet no insurer has yet offered an out-of-state policy there -- or in any of the other four states. If this is the key to bringing costs down, why doesn't anyone want to do it?

State regulations govern items as varied as the generosity of coverage to appeal processes for denied services. .../

If an insurer from state B would instead have to meet state A’s regulations, then it’s not clear what the federal law would accomplish.

The bigger challenge for this idea, though, is that almost all health care is delivered locally. To succeed, insurance companies need a significant toe-hold with hospitals and other providers in their local market; an out-of-state insurer would lack that and thus struggle in its negotiations to form a delivery network. This is why many new entrants to the health insurance market haven’t succeeded.

More: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-03-06/selling-health-insurance-across-state-lines-won-t-save-money

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 02:33:24 pm »
Insurance that is insurance would be for large medical expenses. If people have to pay for routine care then competition will drive down the cost of that care.

Clear, concise and overall well stated. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 02:36:54 pm »
Clear, concise and overall well stated.

And Ocare is dead! dead! Dead!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 03:55:27 pm »

Full repeal is the only way. I emailed him about this yesterday and his response : "Please be assured that I will continue to work closely with my Senate colleagues, from across the ideological spectrum, on consensus reforms to make health insurance more affordable."

He did mention :  For the past seven years, Republicans have run for Congress on a commitment to repeal Obamacare. On May 4th, the House of Representatives was able to come together to improve their first draft and pass a bill to start the process of fulfilling the congressional majority's longstanding promises to reduce premiums and make health care more affordable."

His response seems to be double-speak. Reducing premiums and making health care more affordable is not the same as fully repealing Obamacare.

I am disappointed.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 03:57:13 pm »
Full repeal is the only way. I emailed him about this yesterday and his response : "Please be assured that I will continue to work closely with my Senate colleagues, from across the ideological spectrum, on consensus reforms to make health insurance more affordable."

He did mention :  For the past seven years, Republicans have run for Congress on a commitment to repeal Obamacare. On May 4th, the House of Representatives was able to come together to improve their first draft and pass a bill to start the process of fulfilling the congressional majority's longstanding promises to reduce premiums and make health care more affordable."

His response seems to be double-speak. Reducing premiums and making health care more affordable is not the same as fully repealing Obamacare.

I am disappointed.

Don't be!  If he get's his amendment adopted Obamacare is DEAD!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 04:06:22 pm »
@libertybele

This "free marketplace" mantra may be overstated.

Insurance CAN be sold across state lines, but each state still regulates the insurance policies available within its borders.  Out-of-state insurance companies are limited to the same policy regulations as in-state companies.

Yup, @Right_in_Virginia.   A lot of the "easy fixes" aren't.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 05:34:11 pm »
This amendment, if adopted, would amount to repeal!  Think it through!
Yep. Offer the Cadillac plan and sell the Chevvies all day long.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 05:37:29 pm »

I am disappointed.
This has the effect of nullifying Obamacare, provided the penalty goes away, too. If an insurer has only to offer the approved plan in order to be able to sell the lesser plan, they can offer a plan like government employees get, and the rest of us could go back to buying something that fit our needs and budget. At that point, Obamacare is effectively dead, except for the subsidies.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 07:46:29 pm »
Typical Republican shell game.

@txradioguy

Exactly.  That bag-faced turtle, McConnell, stood on the stage at CPAC and said they would get rid of Obamacare "root and branch."

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 08:02:18 pm »
@txradioguy

Exactly.  That bag-faced turtle, McConnell, stood on the stage at CPAC and said they would get rid of Obamacare "root and branch."

Ted Cruz is no longer fighting to get rid of Obamacare "root and branch" any more.  He's looking to lower costs, reduce the rate of Medicaid increases and allow states to opt out of the essential benefits.

This ain't 2009 any more.