Author Topic: When Media Narratives Collide  (Read 444 times)

rangerrebew

When Media Narratives Collide
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:48:09 am »
When Media Narratives Collide
By: BillOReilly.com StaffJune 21, 2017

When Nabra Hassanen was brutally murdered in Virginia this past Sunday, the media's collective ears perked up.  She was a studious, friendly, innocent 17-year-old, a devout Muslim who was killed while approaching her mosque.

Almost immediately, The Atlantic ran with this headline:  "Muslims Feel Under Seige."  The magazine instinctively linked Nabra's killing with the London incident in which a man plowed his car into a group of Muslims leaving their mosque.

https://www.billoreilly.com/b/When-Media-Narratives-Collide/832392251697420353.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:48:47 am by rangerrebew »

Oceander

Re: When Media Narratives Collide
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:54:37 am »
We are not accusing media types of celebrating the killing, but they were enthused because this seemed to fit their narrative that America is a hate-filled country and Muslims are frequently targets of violence.

But that familiar and comfortable story line fell apart almost immediately.  Police reported that the young girl's killer was 22-year-old Darwin Martinez Torres, who apparently pursued a group of teens who were blocking his car.  This was a case of road rage, not anti-Muslim animus.

Even more inconvenient for the left-wing media, Torres is in this country illegally.  Whether you prefer the term "undocumented immigrant" or an "illegal alien," this loathsome killer came here from El Salvador and never should have been able to cross the border.

On the night of the murder, Torres grew enraged when the teens were impeding his path.  He got out of his car, chased them with a baseball bat, and smashed Nabra Hassanen in the head when she tripped and fell.  He then abducted the young woman, beat her a second time, killed her, and dumped her in a pond adjacent to his apartment complex.  There are new reports suggesting that Nabra was also sexually violated.

So you can see the dilemma facing mainstream media outlets.  A crime against one of their prized victim groups was committed by a member of another victim group.  What to do?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: When Media Narratives Collide
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 11:12:04 am »
So you can see the dilemma facing mainstream media outlets.  A crime against one of their prized victim groups was committed by a member of another victim group.  What to do?

I love it when they fall into traps of their own making!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien