Author Topic: BREAKING: Former US Diplomatic Officer Arrested For Giving Top-Secret Documents to Chinese Agent  (Read 888 times)

Offline endicom

The gateway Pundit
Cristina Laila
June 22, 2017

Alexandria, Virginia – Kevin Mallory, 60 was arrested Thursday and was charged under the Federal Espionage Act and could face life in prison, Associated Press reports.

A Virginia man caught with $16,500 in cash in his carry-on luggage was charged Thursday with transmitting top-secret documents to an apparent Chinese agent.

Kevin Mallory, 60, of Leesburg was arrested Thursday and made an initial appearance in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Virginia. The self-employed consultant who speaks Chinese is charged under the federal Espionage Act and could face life in prison. In fact, if certain conditions are met, the charges could make Mallory eligible for the death penalty, prosecutor John Gibbs said at Mallory’s initial appearance.

More...  http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/06/breaking-former-us-diplomatic-officer-arrested-giving-top-secret-documents-chinese-agent/

Offline endicom

That's a real nice house in the picture.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

The AP story has some good details:

According to the affidavit, Mallory traveled to Shanghai in April, and was interviewed by Customs agents at O’Hare Airport in Chicago after he failed to declare $16,500 in cash found in two carry-on bags.

The FBI interviewed him the next month, and he admitted that he met with two people from a Chinese think tank, the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, that he now believed were Chinese intelligence agents. He said they had given him a special communications device for transmitting documents.

According to the affidavit, Mallory told the FBI agents that the only documents he transferred were two unclassified “white papers” he had written on U.S. policy matters, for which he said he was paid $25,000.

But FBI agents searched the device and found other documents and messages that Mallory thought had been deleted, according to the affidavit. In one message, Mallory wrote to the suspected Chinese agent, “your object is to gain information, and my object is to be paid.”

The agent responded, “my current object is to make sure your security and to try to reimburse you.”

According to the affidavit, the Chinese officers were encouraging Mallory to resume working for the government so that he could obtain “a position of access.”

An analysis of the documents on the device found four classified documents, including three with a Top Secret classification.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online roamer_1

The AP story has some good details:

But FBI agents searched the device and found other documents and messages that Mallory thought had been deleted, according to the affidavit.

Deleted is not deleted. I can pull deleted files off of a fat32 or NTFS formatted drive so easily it would make your head spin... It's not even very technical.

It makes me laugh every time I see these idiots getting caught by way of such monumental ignorance.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Deleted is not deleted. I can pull deleted files off of a fat32 or NTFS formatted drive so easily it would make your head spin... It's not even very technical.

It makes me laugh every time I see these idiots getting caught by way of such monumental ignorance.

They don't generally put people in prison for being too smart!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

It's amazing what even the free recovery software will find on a supposedly empty drive.  Deleted is most definitely not deleted; more like misplaced. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I do like the honesty of the Chinese agent.

“my current object is to make sure your security and to try to reimburse you.”
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

I do like the honesty of the Chinese agent.

“my current object is to make sure your security and to try to reimburse you.”

Their training in covert methods does leave a little to be desired tho'.

Offline Joe Wooten

It's amazing what even the free recovery software will find on a supposedly empty drive.  Deleted is most definitely not deleted; more like misplaced.
Deleted files just have the first letter of the file name taken off to mark the space as available for writing new data in.