Author Topic: Clean coal power plant ordered to run on natural gas  (Read 1681 times)

Offline thackney

Clean coal power plant ordered to run on natural gas
« on: June 22, 2017, 05:18:06 pm »
Clean coal power plant ordered to run on natural gas
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/clean-coal-power-plant-ordered-to-run-on-natural-gas/article/2626794
Jun 22, 2017

Mississippi regulators are drafting a plan for utility giant Southern Company to use only natural gas at its state-of-the-art "clean coal" power plant in Kemper County, and that it not be allowed to recoup the cost of the expensive coal portion of the power plant by charging ratepayers.

The Mississippi Public Service Commission on Wednesday unanimously passed a motion instructing its counsel to prepare an order by July 6 that outlines "potential solutions" for keeping the Kemper County Power Generation Facility running on natural gas in order to reduce the burden of the plant's construction on consumers.

The power plant has faced a number of cost overruns and delays over the last seven years it has been under construction. It is a coal gasification plant, which means it essentially turns low-grade coal into natural gas that it then burns to produce electricity.

But that also means it can use natural gas that isn't derived from coal. And given the low cost of natural gas compared to coal in most regions of the country, it appears the state utility commission wants the Kemper facility to burn non-coal derived natural gas indefinitely.

Last month, Mississippi Power, which is the Southern Company subsidiary that operates the plant, asked the commission to raise electricity consumers' rates to make up for the higher costs of building the coal portion of the plant, which also removes carbon dioxide in a bid to make coal-fired power a climate change-friendly energy solution.

But the commission wants options, saying any settlement presented to the regulators should "[r]emove risk from ratepayers for the lignite coal gasifier and related assets," including "no rate increase to Mississippi Power Company customers," according to a commission statement.

"The commission strongly encourages serious discussions leading to potential rate reduction, particularly for residential customers," it continued, adding that any settlement should "allow only" the operation of the natural gas facility at the Kemper Project.

President Trump has made building clean coal power plants like the Kemper facility part of his energy agenda to boost coal demand. Experts say the widespread use of these types of power plants is much further down the road, as cost must be reduced and efficiencies improved to make them commercial....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Clean coal power plant ordered to run on natural gas
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 05:37:04 pm »
The "clean coal" gasification plants like this are very expensive to operate, and would require an operational subsidy to be competitive. Other than building and operating a small demonstrator plant, which DOE did back in the 1980's, there is no need for this technology. It's not worth the effort and money.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:39:05 pm »
The "clean coal" gasification plants like this are very expensive to operate, and would require an operational subsidy to be competitive. Other than building and operating a small demonstrator plant, which DOE did back in the 1980's, there is no need for this technology. It's not worth the effort and money.

+1

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 05:41:42 pm »
I fully expect that the market will tell us when Coal gasification is ready for prime time!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 05:55:08 pm »
I fully expect that the market will tell us when Coal gasification is ready for prime time!

About the time fusion power becomes a reality........

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 05:58:38 pm »

So within 10 years????
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 05:59:23 pm »

So about 20 years???

;-)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:05 pm »
The real money is in coal liquefaction.

Once hydrocarbon liquids from crude become expensive, alternatives will be needed to supply our needs, particularly for transportation fuel.

Those alternatives exist in either natural gas or coal conversion to synthetic hydrocarbon liquids.

My money is on the usage of natural gas.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline endicom

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 03:50:26 pm »
Acetyl Chemicals from Coal Gasification - https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/whatischemistry/landmarks/chemicalsfromcoal.html

When natural gas and electric lighting became widely available, it destroyed that industry.