Author Topic: Psychopaths drink their coffee black, study finds  (Read 797 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Psychopaths drink their coffee black, study finds
« on: June 22, 2017, 04:29:47 pm »
If you like your coffee black, you may be someone who prefers strong flavours, takes good care of their health, or just wants to drink their coffee the way it’s supposed to be drunk.

Or, you may be a psychopath.

At least, that’s according to a new study published in the journal Appetite, which found a correlation between a love of black coffee and sadist or psychopathic tendencies.

The research surveyed more than 1,000 adults, asking them to give their food and flavour preferences. The participants then took a series of personality tests assessing antisocial personality traits, such as sadism, narcissism and psychopathy.

The study, carried out by researchers at the University of Innsbruck, found that a preference for bitter flavours was linked to psychopathic behaviour.

The closest association was between bitter foods and “everyday sadism” – that is to say, enjoyment of inflicting moderate levels of pain on others.

And it isn’t just black coffee that should ring alarm bells – the study also found participants who reported a fondness for radishes, celery and tonic water were also more likely to exhibit antisocial traits.

More: https://www.indy100.com/article/psychopaths-drink-their-coffee-black-study-research-antisocial-behaviour-diet-7800451

Ridiculous. I don't mind black unsweetened coffee. I enjoy celery and radishes, raw. Tonic water is my go-to soda. I'm not a psychopath. Sociopath, maybe.  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:31:14 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Psychopaths drink their coffee black, study finds
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:43:58 pm »
I like my coffee black like my soul.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:00:07 pm »
And also a good Chianti with their liver I hear.
The Republic is lost.

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 05:29:05 pm »
And it isn’t just black coffee that should ring alarm bells – the study also found participants who reported a fondness for radishes, celery and tonic water were also more likely to exhibit antisocial traits.

I love black coffee, celery and radishes...
...and I just accidentally touched my soul.
Barba non facit philosophum.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 01:34:48 am »
I like my coffee black like my soul.

Too bad that big heart outshines it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 02:56:09 am »
I used to drink coffee with cream and sugar, hot.
Then I went to work in the oil patch.
Sometimes there was that powdered stuff, sometimes milk, some rare times half and half or cream.
But you could always get coffee black.
Sometimes there was sugar, sometimes not.
Sometimes it was hot, sometimes not.
So I developed a taste for black coffee, somewhere between warm and frozen, and as a rule, wasn't disappointed often.

Besides, sugar and cream grow nasty things in a thermos if it doesn't get washed out...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 03:11:34 am »
I used to drink coffee with cream and sugar, hot.
Then I went to work in the oil patch.
Sometimes there was that powdered stuff, sometimes milk, some rare times half and half or cream.
Sometimes there was sugar, sometimes not.
Sometimes it was hot, sometimes not.
So I developed a taste for black coffee, somewhere between warm and frozen, and as a rule, wasn't disappointed often.

Besides, sugar and cream grow nasty things in a thermos if it doesn't get washed out...

Yup....most all of the coffee I've had in the oil patch has been black.  After being up for days at a time, black seems to really hit the spot.  I had a large cup of VERY black, strong coffee a couple of years ago....it was so strong that I actually felt my hands shaking.  I was wired for hours.  Now if I need to stay up all night looking at samples or logging, I'll just take a liter of Mountain Dew and that seems to do the trick.

@Smokin Joe

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 03:39:36 am »
Stay clear of those espresso guys.