Author Topic: Is it OK to run in heat of 30C or more?  (Read 750 times)

rangerrebew

Is it OK to run in heat of 30C or more?
« on: June 22, 2017, 12:04:30 pm »
Is it OK to run in heat of 30C or more?
June 21, 2017 by Hannah Moir And Chris Howe, The Conversation

Most of Britain is experiencing a heatwave, with temperatures reaching up to 32℃. The public health watchdog for England has issued an amber health warning, advising people to take care in the hotter weather. But what does it mean for runners? Is it ever too hot to go for a run?

With the recent high temperatures in parts of the UK soaring above 30℃, people may find themselves questioning the safety of running in the heat. Running in hotter temperatures though is not uncommon, with many runners competing in warmer climates such as Kenya, Ethiopia and Japan, where temperatures average 25℃.

Read more at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-06-30c.html#jCp

Offline Mom MD

Re: Is it OK to run in heat of 30C or more?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:19:48 pm »
I run in heat like that all the time.  On the treadmill in my air conditioned basement.  However, kids play sports and people run in weather hotter than that.  The rule is 1 liter of fluid for every hour exerting in the heat.  It can be done safely, but you must pay attention to your hydration and how you are feeling.  Obviously it is better in areas of low humidity than high humidity, and even better to do your work outs when in the morning or evening when it is cooler
God is still in control

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:10:11 am »
30-32C...mid 80's?!?  Pikers!  It is 108 degrees outside my house right now at 6pm....that being said I wouldn't go for a walk/jog until 8:30p or wait until 5:30a.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 05:19:15 am »
My air conditioner thinks so....

High Temps in the mid to high sixties for the rest of the week. Twenty MPH breeze.  Just right!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 06:25:51 pm »
Hey, Wichita Falls runs the "Hotter'n'Hell 100" bike race every year in August....I also would see a lot of guys out running in 110F temperatures, and I worked many a summer job doing manual labor in 100 to 115F weather.

Damn Nanny State folks, making a bunch of wimps out of everyone.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 02:05:33 am »
Kidding me? I've worked physical labor jobs for up to 12 hours at 100F or more for years. I've been in environments up to 120F doing that. Hell I've worked in my garden 10 hours at around 100F in the hot sun.

Let's not even talk about what soldiers endured in Iraq.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 02:06:08 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:31:58 am »
It depends on what is chasing you.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 05:14:04 am »
30-32C...mid 80's?!?  Pikers!  It is 108 degrees outside my house right now at 6pm....that being said I wouldn't go for a walk/jog until 8:30p or wait until 5:30a.

Mid 80s?

That would rule out the Houston area nearly 24/7 for 4 months and half the rest during daylight.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:15:54 am by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 07:22:22 am »
It depends on what is chasing you.

Meh. I'd be running on dry solid ground. Those cats wouldn't be...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis