Author Topic: Plutonium found in urine of 5 workers exposed to radiation (Japan)  (Read 785 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
TOKYO

A small amount of radioactive materials -- plutonium and americium -- was found in the urine of five workers exposed to radiation in an accident earlier this month at a nuclear research facility in Ibaraki Prefecture, a hospital operator said Monday.

The result shows that the five workers have suffered internal radiation exposure following the June 6 accident at the Japan Atomic Energy Agency's Oarai Research & Development Center in the coastal town of Oarai.

They had received medication to facilitate the discharge of radioactive materials from their bodies for five days after the accident.

The five, although showing no signs of deterioration or notable change in their health, were hospitalized again from Sunday for another round of medication from Monday, said the National Institutes for Quantum and Radiological Science and Technology, the operator of the hospital.

In the accident, radioactive materials were released into the air in the room where the five were working when one opened a metal container holding plutonium and uranium powder samples and a plastic bag containing the samples inside suddenly ruptured.

Initially, the agency said up to 22,000 becquerels of plutonium-239 were found in the lungs of one of the five workers, while up to 5,600 to 14,000 becquerels of the radioactive substance were found in the lungs of three other workers. It said at the time that the four had suffered internal radiation exposure.

But the facility operator has since said a subsequent check by the National Institute of Radiological Sciences has found no plutonium in the lungs of any of the five workers. It has not ruled out the possibility that what was actually detected was radioactive substance left on the workers' bodies after decontamination.

More: https://japantoday.com/category/national/plutonium-found-in-urine-of-5-workers-exposed-to-radiation?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Plutonium found in urine of 5 workers exposed to radiation (Japan)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:42:01 am »
If these folks have plutonium in their systems, that likely won't go well in the future, health wise. It may take a while for the effects to become apparent.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 10:47:47 am »
What surprised me is the claim that the workers had eliminated the plutonium from their lungs. It's not readily absorbed or moved.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 10:58:32 am »
What surprised me is the claim that the workers had eliminated the plutonium from their lungs. It's not readily absorbed or moved.
No, IIRC in the bad old days at Rocky Flats, as much as 1/30 millionth of a gram inhaled was pretty much considered a case of lung cancer walking. Ingested plutonium might be able  to be chelated like most any other heavy metal toxin, but that won't clear our the alveolar material.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 11:12:44 am »
Don't they wear respirators when working with this stuff?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 11:26:50 am »
Don't they wear respirators when working with this stuff?
I don't know. You'd think they'd be working in glove boxes.

C S Lewis