Author Topic: Three-Time Oscar Winner Daniel Day-Lewis Announces Retirement From Acting  (Read 724 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: NEW YORK TIMES

URL: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/arts/daniel-day-lewis-announces-retirement-from-acting.html

By SOPAN DEB

One of the most revered actors in Hollywood history has announced his retirement from acting.

“Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor,” Leslee Dart, a spokeswoman for Mr. Lewis said in a statement released on Tuesday. “He is immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences over the many years. This is a private decision and neither he nor his representatives will make any further comment on this subject.”

Mr. Day-Lewis’s representatives declined to elaborate on what prompted this decision, which Variety reported on Tuesday afternoon.

Mr. Day-Lewis, 60, the only performer to win three Academy Awards in the best actor category (“My Left Foot,” “There Will Be Blood,” “Lincoln”), has taken sabbaticals before but has never announced a full retirement until now. He has finished filming “Phantom Thread,” written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, which is set for release at the end of the year

The British-born actor burst onto the American film scene in the 1980s with classics like “My Beautiful Laundrette” (1985) and “My Left Foot” (1989), and spent the next decade establishing himself as one of the finest method actors of his generation.

After starring as the lead role in 1997’s “The Boxer,” Mr. Day-Lewis disappeared from the screen. It wasn’t until five years later when the reclusive actor was coaxed by Martin Scorsese to star in “Gangs of New York” alongside Leonardo DiCaprio. During that time, he reportedly took up shoemaking in Italy. In 2002, he told The Guardian: “I didn’t really want to be involved with films. I just wanted some time away from it all. I need that quite often.”

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln in the film “Lincoln.”

Dillon Freasier and Daniel Day-Lewis in the 2007 film “There Will Be Blood,” For which he won his second Oscar

MY LEFT FOOT: Daniel Day Lewis' First Oscar

Offline berdie

I don't think he ever wanted to be an actor. It was a way to make a living.

That being said...he was very good at it. I loved him in Last of the Mohicans. (and the sound track is awesome)