Author Topic: Battle for Mosul: IS 'blows up' al-Nuri mosque  (Read 491 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Battle for Mosul: IS 'blows up' al-Nuri mosque
« on: June 21, 2017, 08:47:16 pm »
So-called Islamic State (IS) has blown up the Great Mosque of al-Nuri in Mosul, Iraqi forces say.

The historic landmark was where IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi proclaimed a "caliphate" in 2014.

However, IS claims that US aircraft destroyed the mosque, in a statement issued by its news outlet Amaq.

The Iraqi commander in charge of the offensive to retake Mosul said troops were within 50m of the mosque when IS "committed another historical crime".

The jihadists have destroyed a string of important heritage sites in Iraq and Syria.

The UN says IS may be holding more than 100,000 people in Mosul as human shields.

Thousands of Iraqi security forces, Kurdish Peshmerga fighters, Sunni Arab tribesmen and Shia militiamen, assisted by US-led coalition warplanes and military advisers, are involved in the offensive against IS, which was launched on 17 October 2016.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40361857
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Battle for Mosul: IS 'blows up' al-Nuri mosque
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:51:47 pm »
"So-called Islamic State (IS) has blown up the Great Mosque of al-Nuri in Mosul, Iraqi forces say..."

I have no problems with this, none at all.
I hope that isis keeps blowing up mosques wherever they are found.

The fewer mosques in the world, the better the chance Christianity and The West has.