Author Topic: Message from Georgia: Hating Trump is not a platform  (Read 1012 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Message from Georgia: Hating Trump is not a platform
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:55:43 am »
Turns out…money can’t buy you love. Or a House seat in Georgia’s 6th District.

Democrats pulled out all stops in their effort to show that the #Resistance isn’t just about marches and slogans and insulting the president, but also about flipping the House in 2018. They poured tens of millions of dollars into what became the most expensive House race ever, trying to elect 30-year-old nonentity Jon Ossoff to fill the seat of HHS head Tom Price. They cast the race as a referendum on Donald Trump, and a bellwether for 2018. Republicans will be elated with the outcome, and hopeful that both those claims are true.

What is undoubtedly true is this: despising Donald Trump is not much of a platform.

Ossoff, who received gobs of money from outside Georgia and doesn’t even live in the 6th District, started his campaign by exhorting voters to “Make Trump Furious.” But more recently he backed off that attack line, and ran what even the New York Times called a “milquetoast” campaign. He portrayed himself as a centrist, with a platform about as thin as his resume. Apparently he came to realize that those activists sending contributions from LA and New York would not be showing up in the voting booth, and that he had to win the hearts and minds of Georgia Republicans.

Democrats’ eagerness to put Trump in the middle of the race may have been a misstep, but they were  swayed by the president’s declining approval ratings and by his narrow victory in the district in November. He won the 6th by only 1.5 percentage points, while Mitt Romney had a 23 point margin four years earlier and Tom Price had been reelected by 24 points last year.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/06/20/message-from-georgia-hating-trump-is-not-platform.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Message from Georgia: Hating Trump is not a platform
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:00:26 am »
My gut feeling is that the GOP's victory was sealed by the recent shootings in D.C.   The left's craziness was laid bare for all to see, as well as the stakes in the current civil war between left and right.   Ossoff pivoted to the center to try to pick off Republican voters,  but I think wavering conservatives saw that the left is not now just spouting the rhetoric of resistance, but the violence as well.

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 01:37:56 pm »
My gut feeling is that the GOP's victory was sealed by the recent shootings in D.C.   The left's craziness was laid bare for all to see, as well as the stakes in the current civil war between left and right.   Ossoff pivoted to the center to try to pick off Republican voters,  but I think wavering conservatives saw that the left is not now just spouting the rhetoric of resistance, but the violence as well.
The true conservatives showed up that supported the pro-life message of Handel.  http://www.newsmax.com/JohnGizzi/Planned-Parenthood-Georgia-Congress-GOP/2017/06/21/id/797274/

And I daresay those Southerners still remember what carpetbaggers mean.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:42:47 pm »
Solidarity - what a concept!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 03:15:52 pm »

While I agree with everything you wrote, it reflects not only the problem the crazy left have relating to average people but the Democrat Party itself.

Most Americans just want to pay the bills and live a comfortable life.  They're unhappy to see the deck stacked against them in favor of the few and powerful but that does not mean they want to go full Venezuela or Puerto Rico

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 12:22:54 pm »
While I agree with everything you wrote, it reflects not only the problem the crazy left have relating to average people but the Democrat Party itself.

Most Americans just want to pay the bills and live a comfortable life.  They're unhappy to see the deck stacked against them in favor of the few and powerful but that does not mean they want to go full Venezuela or Puerto Rico

There are, of course, multiple explanations why Ossoff couldn't pull it off.  Dem voters were energized but, in the end,  so were GOP voters.  Yet a couple of TBR members who live in this Georgia district have been oozing disaffection for months, condemning Congress and hardly conveying any taste for party solidarity. 

Yet the GOP vote turned out.   The most recent polls before the election showed Ossoff with a two point lead, yet he lost by six points.  An eight point swing in a week.  What explains that?  What changed? 

I say it was the realization that the "resistance" is more than rhetoric, it is the very real threat of political violence.   If those two cops hadn't been there,  a dozen GOP members of Congress would have been shot dead.   Like any community that is subject to violent attack, the GOP community,  I think, is beginning to realize the stakes,  and the need to answer back.  Not with violence, of course, but with political solidarity. 

Unity can be our salvation, and disunity our demise.   Right now, members of Congress need to bury their differences and work TOGETHER to pass tax reform, health care reform and the other aspects of the GOP agenda that will get our voters to the polls and expand our majorities.     

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 10:30:06 pm »
Unity can be our salvation, and disunity our demise.   Right now, members of Congress need to bury their differences and work TOGETHER to pass tax reform, health care reform and the other aspects of the GOP agenda that will get our voters to the polls and expand our majorities.

It's hard to get all the Dons to agree on anything

Offline corbe

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 11:42:31 pm »
   I totally agree with the premise of this Article, Hating President Trump is not a platform OR a valid political strategy going forward BUT Hating #nevertrumpers (whatever that is) is still alive and well, even here among some of our most distinguished Briefers....I can live with it, respectfully, Like water on a duck's back.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.