Author Topic: Tropical Storm Cindy may bring 'life-threatening' flooding across Gulf Coast  (Read 4891 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Post some photos if you can.

I'll try. Meanwhile, here's an interesting pic from a local meteorologist that you might find interesting.

[attachment deleted by admin]

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Smart Texan.

It makes all the difference in the world how early you make the decision to leave. Everyone was in shock after seeing what Katrina did, so I didn't waste one minute in packing the car and heading up to my cousin's in North Texas. I took video of my house inside and out as well as my neighborhood as I drove away because I thought I'd never see it intact again.

The traffic was a little heavier, but it still flowed. It took me about 30 minutes longer than usual to get to my cousin's, but that early start made all the difference. By the time I unloaded my car and put my things away, we were sitting in their living room watching the nightmare evacuation on I-45. I'll never forget the tragedy of the bus fire.  8888crybaby

I learned from my mother to get out early. I think we left 3 weeks before Carla. j/k But we were some of the first to leave. People made fun of Mother -- until Carla left her devastating mark.

You've got that right! If you are going to evacuate - Leave Early.

Don't ever wait until your work releases you, or evacuations are declared.

I have never left, but I've heard all the stories from family members that did leave.

When Rita was bearing down, my wife and daughter were getting antsy, wanting to leave. I would show them the gridlock on the freeways via the TXDOT cameras. I told them I refused to leave shelter unless I felt that it would better our situation. I told them if we decided that we must leave, we would go Southwest to Corpus. We never left. Had some shingles blown off and sections of fence blown down, was the only damage. Power was out for 2 weeks though.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'll try. Meanwhile, here's an interesting pic from a local meteorologist that you might find interesting.

Shouldn't they be out of there?   *bouche*

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

When I was stationed at Pensacola, we'd go to the beach to catch some big waves whenever there was a hurricane in the Gulf.

Sometimes those Bossy Lifeguards would kick us off the beach.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

Well, you'd think so, wouldn't you? Some folks would rather put other people's lives in jeopardy trying to rescue them ... people like bossy lifeguards.

Offline Applewood

What really gets me are the TV stations which put some hapless reporter on the beach to tell you the hurricane is approaching. Ya think?  The poor guy is getting blown away and drenched with rain.  I've seen a few struggling to hold onto something, anything to keep from being blown out to sea.  I guess these stations/networks won't stop this dangerous practice until one of their people drowns or is swept away. 

Don't know about the rest of you, but I really don't need to see some poor reporter being blown away to know the storm is coming and it's dangerous.

Offline GrouchoTex

You've got that right! If you are going to evacuate - Leave Early.

Don't ever wait until your work releases you, or evacuations are declared.

I have never left, but I've heard all the stories from family members that did leave.

When Rita was bearing down, my wife and daughter were getting antsy, wanting to leave. I would show them the gridlock on the freeways via the TXDOT cameras. I told them I refused to leave shelter unless I felt that it would better our situation. I told them if we decided that we must leave, we would go Southwest to Corpus. We never left. Had some shingles blown off and sections of fence blown down, was the only damage. Power was out for 2 weeks though.

I had a similar experience with Rita, which missed us.
My wife wanted to  leave.
I told her, that as bad as the roads were jammed up, we could only go as far as a half of tank of gas would get us.
We'd have to stop where ever that was, because there wouldn't be any gas to get back.
I told her, that may not be very far from here, anyway.
We stayed home.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Tropical Storms used to barely make the news. Now I expect Shep to be out there in a rain coat and duck boots reporting on how wet it is.

Offline thackney

I've been watching it.  The predicted rainfall maps don't reach our area.

And the rain just chased me in from mowing the back pasture.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
And the rain just chased me in from mowing the back pasture.

Is Louisiana stealing our rain again? Or is it Florida this time?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

We just got one torrential band that dropped close to an inch.Winds only about 20-30 mph during the squall.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

Mobile Alabama it looks to me is getting the brunt of the rain.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Mobile Alabama it looks to me is getting the brunt of the rain.

Maybe it'll wash the USS Alabama out to sea. Or is it too stuck in the mud?

Offline berdie

What really gets me are the TV stations which put some hapless reporter on the beach to tell you the hurricane is approaching. Ya think?  The poor guy is getting blown away and drenched with rain.  I've seen a few struggling to hold onto something, anything to keep from being blown out to sea.  I guess these stations/networks won't stop this dangerous practice until one of their people drowns or is swept away. 

Don't know about the rest of you, but I really don't need to see some poor reporter being blown away to know the storm is coming and it's dangerous.

I agree. I don't know when they started putting reporters out in the weather...but it is goofy, imho.

I wonder if they draw straws to see who goes. But more than likely it is a senority thing.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

I hear what you're saying, but if they didn't go out there, we might have missed this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQogxeSCRLQ 

Offline Applewood

I hear what you're saying, but if they didn't go out there, we might have missed this:
:bigsilly:   I had forgotten about that. 

Now that is one so-called journalist Iwouldn't have minded seeing swept away. 

Offline Applewood

I agree. I don't know when they started putting reporters out in the weather...but it is goofy, imho.

I wonder if they draw straws to see who goes. But more than likely it is a senority thing.

One of our local TV stations used to advertise their chief weather guy with the promotion called "The Weather Outside."  The poor soul had to do his forecasts every day from the roof of the TV station building.  He was out in the rain, snow, wind, you name it.  And invariably, after a few days of doing the weather out in the elements, he would come down with a cold, flu or some other respiratory illness.  The station finally abandoned the promotion, possibly because it realized it was losing money in having to pay for the weatherman's sick time and having to pay someone else to substitute.

I often wondered if the weatherman's "illnesses" were a way out of having to stand on the roof in a snowstorm.  I wouldn't have blamed him.

Offline thackney

We just got one torrential band that dropped close to an inch.Winds only about 20-30 mph during the squall.

Let us know how you made out this morning.  No rain or much wind here in Rosharon.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Let us know how you made out this morning.  No rain or much wind here in Rosharon.

Seeing generally 25-30 mph sustained winds, with a gust every burst of squall  of 40-45.  Thankfully a tropical flop.

Understand there are some local sporadic power outages being reported on local media, but none as far as I know near me.  .  Since this thing just made landfall, just east of the Sabine, watching for rain is the issue now.

Only 2.03 in the rain bucket.  Of course some of that was sideways rain.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Looks like the front edge of some part of the storm is over Nashville moving North. Supposed to start getting rain around noon here today.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Hey, @AllThatJazzZ, if you take the "s" out of the "https" when you post a youtube, it posts like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQogxeSCRLQ

Offline Applewood

Looks like the front edge of some part of the storm is over Nashville moving North. Supposed to start getting rain around noon here today.

Our local weather people in Western PA are telling us we will get remnants of Cindy -- in the form of torrential rain. Supposed to start Friday and continue into Saturday.  This is bad news for a number of communities around here which have been devastated by flooding from the unusual amount of rainstorms we've been getting for the last couple of weeks.  These towns clean up after one storm, then another storm arrives shortly thereafter.

My prayers go up for everyone in the path of this storm, even those indirectly affected by it.

Offline thackney

I believe it was Dan Rather, Hurricane Carla, 1961 in Galveston.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I believe it was Dan Rather, Hurricane Carla, 1961 in Galveston.

One of the few things more destructive to Texas than my ex with the same name.   :whistle:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

One of the few things more destructive to Texas than my ex with the same name.   :whistle:

Your Ex-wife was named "Dan Rather"?