Author Topic: U.S. Coast Guard interviews container ship crew after warship collision  (Read 784 times)

rangerrebew

U.S. Coast Guard interviews container ship crew after warship collision

By Tim Kelly and Kiyoshi Takenaka | TOKYO

The United States Coast Guard will on Tuesday start interviewing the crew of a Philippines-flagged container ship which collided with a U.S. warship in Japanese waters killing seven American sailors.

The U.S. coast guard investigation is one several into the incident on Saturday involving the guided missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald and the much larger ACX Crystal. The cause of the collision at night and in clear weather is not known.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-navy-asia-idUSKBN19B0DE
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:23:36 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I'm confused. Why is the US Coast Guard investigating something that happened in Japan? It's a bit out of their territory.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline thackney

I want to know more about this:

The investigation will also look into a time discrepancy in the ACX Crystal's initial report of the incident south of Tokyo Bay, said Scott. "There is a contradiction. It will be part of the investigation," Carr said.

The Japan Coast Guard has already spoken to the Filipino crew and is also probing the inconsistency. It is in talks with the U.S. Navy for access to its crew members and data from the destroyer, a spokesman for the organization said.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

I'm confused. Why is the US Coast Guard investigating something that happened in Japan? It's a bit out of their territory.

...The U.S. coast guard, which is undertaking the investigation on behalf of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board, will gather electronic data and ship tracking information from the USS Fitzgerald and ACX Crystal....

...Complicating the inquiries could be issues of jurisdiction. Although the collision occurred in Japanese waters, international maritime rules, could allow the U.S. Navy to claim some authority over the investigations.....

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The good thing about this is that the multiple, parallel investigations should silence all but the most hardcore conspiracists.

Best case scenario for the Navy is that this was an overtaking situation, and the two ships were close but on safe courses.   The ACX Crystal didn't see the destroyer, made a slight turn to port , and by the time the destroyer could pick up the course correction, it was too late to avoid.

But still....

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

How about the US Coast Guard is investigating the US Navy aspect, so as to not have the Navy investigating the Navy.

No doubt Japanese authorities will also take their shot, at learning what happened, and who was at fault.

So there will be at least 3 investigations. (Coast Guard, Navy and Japan) Not that that, will bring back 7 sailors.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
How about the US Coast Guard is investigating the US Navy aspect, so as to not have the Navy investigating the Navy.

No doubt Japanese authorities will also take their shot, at learning what happened, and who was at fault.

So there will be at least 3 investigations. (Coast Guard, Navy and Japan) Not that that, will bring back 7 sailors.

Thanks, that makes sense. You just reminded me of something I keep forgetting - the USCG is NOT part of the Navy.

Offline thackney

Thanks, that makes sense. You just reminded me of something I keep forgetting - the USCG is NOT part of the Navy.

@EC @truth_seeker

From the article:
The U.S. coast guard, which is undertaking the investigation on behalf of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Thank you, @thackney

I'm just a tad jumpy on this for some reason. The damage to the container ship looks "wrong," I can't define why, but its wrong enough to have my thumb twitching towards a non existent fire button every time I see the pics.

Maybe just getting old and paranoid.  :shrug: