Author Topic: LePage signs food sovereignty law, the first of its kind in the nation  (Read 1028 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
With a stroke of his pen, Gov. Paul LePage last week enacted landmark legislation putting Maine in the forefront of the food sovereignty movement.

LePage signed LD 725, An Act to Recognize Local Control Regarding Food Systems, Friday legitimizing the authority of towns and communities to enact ordinances regulating local food distribution free from state regulatory control.

According to food sovereignty advocates, the law is the first of its kind in the country.

“This is a great day for rural economic development and the environmental and social wealth of rural communities,” said Rep. Craig Hickman, D-Winthrop. “The Governor has signed into law a first-in-the-nation piece of landmark legislation [and] the state of Maine will [now] recognize, at last, the right of municipalities to regulate local food systems as they see fit.”

Sponsored by Sen. Troy Jackson, D-Allagash, LD 725 does not include food grown or processed for wholesale or retail distribution outside of the community from which it comes.

Supporters of food sovereignty want local food producers to be exempt from state licensing and inspections governing the selling of food as long as the transactions are between the producers and the customers for home consumption or when the food is sold and consumed at community events such as church suppers.

More: http://bangordailynews.com/2017/06/20/homestead/lepage-signs-food-sovereignty-law-the-first-of-its-kind-in-the-nation/?ref=topStories0

@Free Vulcan  Something of interest.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Sounds neat. LePage is a hugely controversial governor too... nice to have a positive story on something liberals and conservatives seem to agree on.

Offline rodamala

Sounds neat. LePage is a hugely controversial governor too... nice to have a positive story on something liberals and conservatives seem to agree on.

Don't be fooled.  The liberals still want to control your food... now at the local level.

Offline GourmetDan

Don't be fooled.  The liberals still want to control your food... now at the local level.

Yep, we constantly hear of the Holocaust... but the Holodomor?  Not so much...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Very interesting. Great way to cut thru the red tape and pinheaded bureaucrats.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Maybe. But from what I read of the law, it's a pro-freedom law and LePage is a well known tea party governor (although he has the same diarrhea of the mouth problem that Trump has).

So I like this.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
Yep, we constantly hear of the Holocaust... but the Holodomor?  Not so much...

You're right.  In fact, I suspect that most people have no idea what the Holodomor is.

The Holodomor could be called an example of "food control."
In this case, the Soviet Union exercised "food control" in Ukraine.
They starved Ukraine into submission by cutting off food distribution.
An estimated seven to ten million people died in 1932 and '33.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I don't know about this kind of thing. I stopped at a kid-run lemonade stand yesterday that could have used some regulation.  :laugh:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline rodamala

I don't know about this kind of thing. I stopped at a kid-run lemonade stand yesterday that could have used some regulation.  :laugh:

@bigheadfred

Is that Ice T?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Yes, it is. Geico ad. @rodamala
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley