Author Topic: Swiss supercomputer edges US out of top spot  (Read 1614 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Swiss supercomputer edges US out of top spot
« on: June 20, 2017, 10:29:36 am »
For only the second time in 24 years, the US has been edged out of the top flight of the world's most powerful number-crunchers.

An upgrade to a Swiss supercomputer has bumped the US Department of Energy's Cray XK7 to number four on the list rating these machines.

The only other time the US fell out of the top three was in 1996.

Chinese supercomputers currently occupy the top two slots in the respected Top 500 list.
Power curve

The US machine has been supplanted by Switzerland's Piz Daint system, which is installed at the country's national supercomputer centre.

The upgrade boosted its performance from 9.8 petaflops to 19.6.

The machine is named after a peak in the Grison region of Switzerland.

One petaflop is equal to one thousand trillion operations per second.

A "flop" (floating point operation) can be thought of as a step in a calculation.

Supercomputers are often used to carry out incredibly detailed simulations, handle weather forecasts and tackle problems in physics, computational science and geophysics.

The performance improvement meant it surpassed the 17.6 petaflop capacity of the DoE machine, located at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee.

The US is well represented lower down in the list, as currently half of all the machines in the top 10 of the list are based in North America.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40325237

Of course, the list is only computers people know about ....
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ShadowAce

Re: Swiss supercomputer edges US out of top spot
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:45:34 am »

@BikkFire @geronl @Smokin Joe @roamer_1 @Blizzardnh @markomalley @VarmintAl @Doug Loss @Rikki Tikki Tavi @guitar4jesus @kevindavis @Oceander @EC

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:52 am »
I know personally of another machine that has recently gone live that should hit the list at number 3 or 4, depending on the results of the test.

I was kinda hoping it would've made this list, but it'll definitely make the next one.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:22:46 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn