Author Topic: Confrontation with Assad regime complicates US-backed campaign for Raqqa  (Read 478 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Confrontation with Assad regime complicates US-backed campaign for Raqqa

Jun. 19, 2017

AMMAN: The United States-backed Syrian Democratic Forces are “bringing in reinforcements” to prevent the Assad regime from getting closer to Raqqa city, a Kurdish official told Syria Direct on Monday, one day after an American plane shot down a Syrian fighter jet south of the province’s second-largest city.

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) forces have captured more than a dozen villages and 500 sq. km—at considerable ease—from a rapidly retreating Islamic State (IS) since breaking into Raqqa province earlier this month. On Sunday, however, pro-regime forces arrived 40km southwest of Raqqa city and attacked the village of Jaedin, held by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

It was the regime’s first attack in Raqqa province against the US-backed SDF, a multi-ethnic coalition of Syrian forces, which has been battling the Islamic State with the support of US airstrikes, artillery and funding.

In response, an American warplane conducted “a show of force” and temporarily pushed back the pro-regime advance towards Jaedin, CENTCOM announced in a statement on Sunday. Two hours after the statement came out, a Syrian regime fighter jet bombed SDF soldiers south of Tabqa, Raqqa province’s second-largest city. The United States then scrambled a F/A-18E Super Hornet, which immediately shot down the regime aircraft.

Continued: http://syriadirect.org/news/confrontation-with-assad-regime-complicates-us-backed-campaign-for-raqqa/

Never have seen this website either. Fascinating and good analysis.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Hey Tom, have you seen anything on whether our involvement and actions in Syria involve recommendations, approval, or consent by Isreal? I'm just curious. I kinda looked around. Admittedly I haven't looked that hard. I am asking if you do come across articles of that nature, let me know?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley