Author Topic: Brits flock to beaches despite warnings to ‘stay indoors’ as temperatures hit 32C – and it’s going to get even HOTTER today  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Victoria33

BRITS boiled on the hottest day of the year so far with temperatures reaching 32C – and it’s only set to get hotter next week.
The mini heatwave has prompted the government to issue a level three amber health warning with emergency services on standby over fears for the ill, vulnerable and elderly.  Pictures of bikini clad women: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3825976/britain-weather-heatwave-public-health-warning/  Just thought I'd give folks in Texas and Arizona a giggle (32C is 90F).
@EC

Very few people in England have air conditioning.  My son, a Texan who lives there, however, says they have two days of summer - those two days have sun so he makes sure to take off his shirt, put on shorts and soak it up those two days.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@EC

Very few people in England have air conditioning.  My son, a Texan who lives there, however, says they have two days of summer - those two days have sun so he makes sure to take off his shirt, put on shorts and soak it up those two days.

Hotels and shopping malls and movie theatres do. At. Least the ones I've been too and stayed in. But then I've never been in the summer. Just the other three seasons.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:04:26 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Jet?  So are you (and the hilltop hotel in the picture of your earlier post) near Whitby?

I just visited Whitby and Lindisfarne on a little two day jaunt with my wife.  We were over visiting our daughter, son-in-law and new grandson in York.  (She and her husband are both Lectures in Philosophy at U. York.)  I've been back for nearly two week, but my wife stayed on -- I'm picking her up from the airport tonight.

The Yanks posting here all forget that, aside from newer large buildings, there just isn't air conditioning in the UK.

@The_Reader_David

Yep - It's Saltburn, just up the coast. Hope you were wise enough to get fish and chips in Whitby - can't beat cod straight off the boat! If you did, the fish was probably caught by one of my cousins, who own and run 4 of the 6 remaining fishing boats out of Whitby harbour.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

32 degrees.  It used to get that cold where I lived, but then I moved the heck south.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline thackney

The "dry heat" thing is real.  If you don't believe it, come to Kansas.  We get both kinds.  Believe me 97 F (36 C) feels a lot better when
the relative humidity is down around 15% than it does when it's 85%.

Oh I know.  In the Houston area we get 95 F that feels like 110 F.  In West Texas they get 110 F that only feels like 110 F.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline The_Reader_David

@The_Reader_David

Yep - It's Saltburn, just up the coast. Hope you were wise enough to get fish and chips in Whitby - can't beat cod straight off the boat! If you did, the fish was probably caught by one of my cousins, who own and run 4 of the 6 remaining fishing boats out of Whitby harbour.

Yes, fish and chips and St. Hilda's abbey (well the Norman replacement of it) were the two draws.  We'd had Whitby's fish and chips recommended to us by the hosts at an AirBnB property we stayed at in Sheffield the previous winter when my wife and I were both on sabbatical.  (Yes, there are lots of academicians in our family, I'm in mathematics, my wife in psychology, and our daughter ended up sort of half-way in between doing old-style  (pre-neuroscience) philosophy of mind.)
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.