Author Topic: Brits flock to beaches despite warnings to ‘stay indoors’ as temperatures hit 32C – and it’s going to get even HOTTER today  (Read 2734 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
BRITS boiled on the hottest day of the year so far with temperatures reaching 32C – and it’s only set to get hotter next week.

The mini heatwave has prompted the government to issue a level three amber health warning with emergency services on standby over fears for the ill, vulnerable and elderly.

Pictures of bikini clad women: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3825976/britain-weather-heatwave-public-health-warning/

Just thought I'd give folks in Texas and Arizona a giggle (32C is 90F).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
BRITS boiled on the hottest day of the year so far with temperatures reaching 32C – and it’s only set to get hotter next week.

The mini heatwave has prompted the government to issue a level three amber health warning with emergency services on standby over fears for the ill, vulnerable and elderly.

Pictures of bikini clad women: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3825976/britain-weather-heatwave-public-health-warning/

Just thought I'd give folks in Texas and Arizona a giggle (32C is 90F).

We tagged 90 here in Michigan last week. I have no problem staying inside the air conditioned building where I work.

Offline rodamala

Um... this is Britain we are talking about.  Let's be a bit more honest, shall we?

My advice to you, wear sunscreen.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Gonna hit 111º where I'm at today and tomorrow and then "cool off" to around 104-106º by the weekend.

It's all relative I suppose, if folks aren't acclimated it can make it hard.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Nice sand they have, NOT.

I prefer this one, about 45 mins from my house. 

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
We have sand:

Mind, that's on the North Sea, so swimming isn't really an option even in these temps.

(The building on top of the hill is a hotel - Dad's first job was as a boot boy there when he were 11.)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Gonna hit 111º where I'm at today and tomorrow and then "cool off" to around 104-106º by the weekend.

It's all relative I suppose, if folks aren't acclimated it can make it hard.

Arizona I presume?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Pfft. It's not even warm till it hits 90F.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

We have sand:

Mind, that's on the North Sea, so swimming isn't really an option even in these temps.

(The building on top of the hill is a hotel - Dad's first job was as a boot boy there when he were 11.)

Besides pretty girls you can also find these at the beach I posted above.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Never get shark teeth - egg sacs a lot. Devils Toenails are all over the place. Some jet, if you get lucky after a storm.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Arizona I presume?
@truth_seeker

I wish given the stark differences in government...I'm in SoCal, Antelope Valley near Edwards AFB.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@truth_seeker

I wish given the stark differences in government...I'm in SoCal, Antelope Valley near Edwards AFB.

Sorry to hear that given the weather this week. Not to rub it in, but I am in Orange County near the beach. We are in a heatwave, at about 80 right now. Get to see girls like those pictured above playing volleyball.

I have relatives in Murrieta, and used to have some in Palm Desert. Went to visit Palm Desert once, and it hit about 118.

I have been in Arizona at about 110-112. Don't like it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:04:31 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

Nice Megalodon tooth!  Venice Beach?  Cocoa Beach?

A couple of weeks ago, at the Calvert Marine Museum, I saw a great full-size reconstruction of a Megalodon skeleton (using enlarged Great White parts for those we don't have).    Unfortunately, my shots of the whole body didn't come out at all.  But the mouth is amazing, when you consider how large each tooth alone is..

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

A couple of weeks ago, at the Calvert Marine Museum, I saw a great full-size reconstruction of a Megalodon skeleton (using enlarged Great White parts for those we don't have).    Unfortunately, my shots of the whole body didn't come out at all.  But the mouth is amazing, when you consider how large each tooth alone is..

It's near Venice beach.just down the coast a couple miles.

Offline Suppressed

It's near Venice beach.just down the coast a couple miles.

Cool!  I've never been there...have always wanted to go after a nice big storm, but haven't made it yet.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Sorry to hear that given the weather this week. Not to rub it in, but I am in Orange County near the beach. We are in a heatwave, at about 80 right now. Get to see girls like those pictured above playing volleyball.

I have relatives in Murrieta, and used to have some in Palm Desert. Went to visit Palm Desert once, and it hit about 118.

I have been in Arizona at about 110-112. Don't like it.
Yeah, but "it's a dry heat".   :silly:

Something about CA girls and all that comes to mind...

It's all good.  We don't get too many events like this during the summer so it's a bit of a tradeoff.  Palm Desert, Palm Springs, etc. are just to stinkin' hot for me.  The monsoonal season around here can get a bit rough, elevated humidity with high temps makes for a miserable month or so.

CALexit plan is near the mountains up in NV, ID or UT.  Maybe Eastern Oregon or Washington.  If the missus would ever make up her mind.   :whistle:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker

Yeah...uhm, gonna need a bigger boat. 

Either one is swallowed whole and digested alive or bit clean in half with something that big.  **nononono*

Offline driftdiver

Cool!  I've never been there...have always wanted to go after a nice big storm, but haven't made it yet.

I used to go there all the time.  Went diving about 300 yds out and found a bunch of small ones and some whale bones.  The last time we surfaced and observed a shark fin circling us.  The water visibility was about 12 inches.

That was a long swim to shore.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:40:40 am by driftdiver »

Offline thackney

Yeah, but "it's a dry heat".   :silly:

Yeah, just like an oven. (was my reply when I used to live in such a climate)
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline rodamala

When I was out in Texas I could tolerate the 115º heat of the Permian Basin... but when I would have to go over to another client in east Texas... 95º there was like Hell... just because of the lack of evaporative cooling with the nearly constant 90+% RH.

Offline thackney

When I was out in Texas I could tolerate the 115º heat of the Permian Basin... but when I would have to go over to another client in east Texas... 95º there was like Hell... just because of the lack of evaporative cooling with the nearly constant 90+% RH.

When I lived in Yemen, on the south side of the Rub' al Khali (empty quarter), it was so dry, it was hard to describe.  The desert there had no growth at all because it was so dry, just in sheltered places like the bottom of wadi (canyon).

You would walk around in 125 degree temps and not get sweaty.  The catch was, you were sweating like crazy but may not realize it.  The sweat would near instantly evaporate, never accumulating on your skin.  If you stayed out to long without drinking water, you would get dizzy and pass out, but not get sweaty.

Definitely a different story here in the Texas Gulf Coast.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:49:49 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline The_Reader_David

Never get shark teeth - egg sacs a lot. Devils Toenails are all over the place. Some jet, if you get lucky after a storm.

Jet?  So are you (and the hilltop hotel in the picture of your earlier post) near Whitby?

I just visited Whitby and Lindisfarne on a little two day jaunt with my wife.  We were over visiting our daughter, son-in-law and new grandson in York.  (She and her husband are both Lectures in Philosophy at U. York.)  I've been back for nearly two week, but my wife stayed on -- I'm picking her up from the airport tonight.

The Yanks posting here all forget that, aside from newer large buildings, there just isn't air conditioning in the UK.   
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
90 degrees is a summer cold snap where I live here in Texas.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline The_Reader_David

The "dry heat" thing is real.  If you don't believe it, come to Kansas.  We get both kinds.  Believe me 97 F (36 C) feels a lot better when
the relative humidity is down around 15% than it does when it's 85%.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Last summer we had a "dry heat" where we were actually in one of our worst droughts in history. IMO it sucked the energy right out of you.

Usually when there is high humidity you get a break with a rainstorm or cold front.